Search for content in message boards

Certain Databases require Login

Certain Databases require Login

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 11:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm having trouble merging results from certain databases and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?
If I try to merge a result from Massachusetts marriage or Birth Records I get a message in the Search result detail window asking me to login. This does not happen with other databases such as Massachusetts Town and Vital records or any US Census record. It also happens with Vermont Vital records.
As background I am logged in, my software is registered. Ancestry help gave the usual runaround of checking various operating conditions. As I said it only happens for certain databases.

Re: Certain Databases require Login

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 12:16PM GMT
The same thing happened to me yesterday when I tried to access a search result for Rhode Island State census. I used other databases all day long, but encountered the "welcome to ancestry, please log in" in the Search Result box.

My experience was a bit worse than yours, however. After I logged in, I encountered the same screen again - it was kind of in its own circular loop. Log in - welcome - log in - welcome.

This was a relatively minor record, but the records you mention are major resources.

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 12:56PM GMT
Apologies if these are the same questions Tech Support asked -

have you tried accessing the database from the ancestry.com interface, rather than through FTM?

have you tried with a browser other than IE? FTM uses a watered-down version of IE for the websearch.

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 1:07PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2013 1:07PM GMT

"Have you tried accessing the database from the ancestry.com interface, rather than through FTM?"

No - that is for the ancestry computer staff to use to trouble shoot the problem. It is of no consequence to me what the ancestry.com interface shows.

"Have you tried with a browser other than IE? FTM uses a watered-down version of IE for the websearch."

No, The FTM WebSearch workspace, where ancestry records are merged into FTM, doesn't offer a choice of browsers.

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 1:26PM GMT
Sorry, silverfox, I know you know all this and more - I was actually replying to the OP. My bad for not specifying.

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 2:01PM GMT
okee dokee. Gremlins loose in the ancestry databases again!

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 2:16PM GMT
Same response as Silverfox. But then why is it only certain databases and not others? Plus it seems to have started yesterday. I have merged records from those databases before.
I know it may be a pain, and thank you for confirming my experience Silverfox, but could anyone else try to merge from those databases and see if it works for them?

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 2:18PM GMT
Yes, I have tried and can merge the record from the Ancestry.com website. But for Sync reasons, I prefer to do all my work within FTM.

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 2:22PM GMT
My questions were only an attempt to isolate the issue - simple troubleshooting. There have been reported issues with FTM because of changes in IE.

If the database works outside of FTM, then the issue is likely not with the database itself, but with how it interfaces with FTM and/or IE.

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 1:13PM GMT
For what it's worth, this is happening to me as well. Only affects certain sources--Massachusetts town records is a big one for me. I'm using the Mac version of FTM. I can go onto ancestry.com and access and save the source, then sync to FTM. Other sources work fine in FTM. FTM and all my other software is current.

The records that I can't clip appear to be Massachusetts records that have recently appeared at at ancestry.com. This only started happening within the past week.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic