Search for content in message boards

Rutherford Ancestors

Rutherford Ancestors

Sherry (Rutherford) Voth (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rutherford
I am looking for any information on my Great Grandfather William John Rutherford born March 3, 1853 in Perth, Ontario, Canada, married Caroline Jane Moore in 1881 in Peterborough County, Douro Township, Ontario. She was born in Dummer Township, Ontario. His father, James Rutherford born about 1832 in Ireland, he was married to a Mary Anne, (maiden name unknown) who was born in Ontario, Canada

Christian Names

John Rutherford (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: RUTHERFORD
Sherry
Its fascinating how names repeat. My Great Grand father was William Rutherford. Married in Maybole Scotland in 1876 to Margaret Clarke. My grandfather John Rutherford was born in Dalmellington Scotland in 1895.My name is John but my son is James. I was born in Paisley in Scotland in 1956.

This is probably of no help but it is facsinating. Visited Jedburgh in Scotland last year and found many gravestones with Rutherford. Among them in Jed Abbey was a Major John Rutherford of Edgerstoun who died in the Battle of Omdursman.

I'm afraid Scotland is the place to go if you want to go right back.

RUTHERFORD

may rutherford (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: RUTHERFORD
my father's family came from this area as well - i was born in glasgow only 2 miles away from where i know live and currently embarking on a research project

2 generations back someone in my family managed to trace us back to 1750's in scottish borders but have now lost these details

can we talk ?

Further details

Rutherford (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
May

Would love to pass on any details of my family history that I have. My fathers family lived in Broomhouse for a while before and after WW2. My grandfather, John was in the HLI during the first war. I know he had a number of sisters and brothers. I will have to get in contact with my Aunt Margaret( my fathers sister - she lives in Australia now too) to find out more.

My direct email address is jruther@agl.com.au

Just send an email!

Re: RUTHERFORD

linda cunningham (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2003 10:54PM GMT
I also live in Glasgow and have Rutherford ancesters who came from Kelso in the borders. My Rutherfords came to Glasgow via Lanark. John Rutherford and Catherine Marshall married in Lanark in 1859 had at least 7 children
Mary b 1860 Glasgow or Lanark
Jane b 1863 Lanark - my direct line
John b 1867 Glasgow
Catherine b 1869 Glasgow
Charles B 1870 Glasgow
Margaret b 1874 Glasgow
Catherine b 1876 Glasgow
I have a lot of info on the Kelso Rutherfords back to 1700's and have trace some of the above children to early 1900's. If you think there may be some connection I will send you info.

Re: Rutherford Ancestors

Posted: 15 Jul 2003 2:40PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2006 7:30PM GMT
Hi Sherry;

I'm helping my son trace his family tree, and he is another William Rutherford. His grandfather and great-great-grandfather were both William John Rutherford, so it's tempting to think that there is a connection here!

Unfortunately we haven't gotten nearly as far back as 1853 yet. We think that our William John Rutherford Sr. was born near Fergus, ON before 1920. He definitely ran a farm in Fergus in the 40's and 50's, and was killed in early middle age in an industrial accident. His children were born in Fergus.

Do you have information on your William John Rutherford's children and grand-children, especially ones who carried on the name William?

Just knowing that they might have been in Perth helps me to continue searching, since there are no Rutherford's in the Fergus area in 1871, and I wasn't sure where they might have come from!

Kirsten

Re: Rutherford Ancestors

Sherry (Rutherford) Voth (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2003 4:35PM GMT
Hi Kirsten;

I will see what information I have on William John Rutherford and get back to you soon.

Sherry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions