Search for content in message boards

Hewitts In Armagh Ireland

Hewitts In Armagh Ireland

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 2:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi - new to this forum. I am currently attempting to locate an ancestral link from Canada to Armagh Ireland. My great great " grandfather and grandmother were reportedly from Armagh names: Robert and Jane Robinson. They immigrated to Canada, specifically settling in Hamilton, Ontario. According to some records I have been able to attain Roberts mothers name was Rebecca. He had two other siblings Isabella and John Hewitt who also immigrated to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Immigration must have occured between 1820-1840. Looking for any information pertaining to how popular the name Hewitt is in this region and if anyone else may have access to irish records to help with my international quest. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my thread I know its not much to go on but if anyone else has any advise to give me or direction im open to any and all suggestions :)

couple of additional notes

Rebecca is reportedly born approx 1787 in Armagh Ireland
Robert Hewitt in approx 1809 his wife Jane Robinson in Armagh Ireland as well in approx 1815.

Siblings Isabella and John further born in Armagh Ireland
Isabella approx 1814 and John approx 1816.

Re: Hewitts In Armagh Ireland

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 5:32PM GMT
Kaley, here is a list of borrowers at the Richhill library. There is a Rebecca and Robert Hewitt on the list. This could help you. Another thing you could consider is a DNA test for any male in your family. You can link another living potential ancestor to this. Indentification of physical traits can help as well. Most of us have fairly long eyebrows in the family, curly or wavy hair. Are there any sking problems in your line? There is in ours, some of us have had Psoriasis. Anyway, just some hints and ideas for you in your search.

http://www.bob-sinton.com/ballyhagan/chapter-11.php

Re: Hewitts In Armagh Ireland

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: HEWITT
Kaley, there are not a lot of records available before 1845 for the Church of England because they were destroyed in a fire. The only way you are going to find out exactly where your ancestors came from is by sifting through everything on the internet, or being lucky enough to meet someone in Northern Ireland who knows their family history and is related to you. Have you tried searching the freeholders' lists on the PRONI site? They date generally from 1820 to 1835. There are a huge number of Hewitt families in and around the townland of Clonroot, even to this day.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions