Search for content in message boards

Sync errors again

Sync errors again

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 3:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was entering data and FTM 2012 closed suddenly. When I reopened it I get a sync error saying that the sync failed and I should close FTM and try later. I compacted the file, closed and opened several times to no avail. Do I need to do the "delete the tree" thing again so I can get all the matches from my old tree on ATM once more? I thought they fixed this.

Re: Sync errors again

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 3:44AM GMT
There is a thread with tips for successful syncing http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/9684...

Barbara

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 11:31PM GMT
I posted the following in FTMMac but have not had a response so far. Hopefully someone here can shed some light since the question is related to sync problems and how to properly "start over" in FTMMac using the ancestry.com tree.

Replace FTM file with ancestry.com file due to sync problems

I have been having sync failures the last couple of days. I'm now afraid that I have no idea what the result of a sync will be. I made extensive changes to my online tree before the sync problems. I believe that my online tree is still OK and is the correct one as the sync never completed [even though it said it did, but still showed sync needed].

I read how to unlink the existing FTM tree and download the ancestry.com version as a new one. The instructions don't say how to handle the file names. Do I have to change the name of the existing FTM file and media folder [which I want to keep as a BU] so that the online version shows up as the same FTM file name with the same authorized users list? I don't think I want to Merge the files as I have no idea what will happen. And I think I want to download without linking and link afterwards?

Thanks.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 2:32AM GMT
You have to choose to link at the time you download. You can't decide to link later.
You can, however, change your file name later.

Barbara

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 2:57PM GMT
Barbara,

If I download and link my ancestry.com tree to FTM, and leave it named the same, will it over-write the existing file and media folder in FTM? If I want to keep the existing FTM file and media folder as a just-in-case backup, should I move and/or rename them before downloading?

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 8:50PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2013 8:52PM GMT
Yes, if you want to keep them, rename the old one and check to make sure the media folder is renamed also. Then download the new one.
Also, try to keep your file names simple - like one word for FTM files if possible. It seems to get confused if you have spaces or special characters in the file name.

Barbara

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 10:48PM GMT
I've had a similar problem (my last successful sync was June 23 so a similar timing as yours). Still working on the solution, but definitely compact your file again and then reboot your whole system to see if that helps.

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 1:00AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2013 1:02AM GMT
I haven't been able to do anything regarding my tree for the past week because I want to be sure I have enough time to fix it completely in one sitting. But I want to thank Barbara for her helpful hints. I want to be sure that I don't lose current or backup files by not doing the process, and renaming current files, properly. Because I am convinced that my online file is the most correct and up-to-date, I will rename my FTMMac file [and media folder if it doesn't do it for me]. Will all the media links be revised to show the new name? And then I will download and link the "current" online file without renaming. Hopefully that will prevent any mishaps with that file, authorized people, etc.

And ivykeep, just for your added info, I did compact my file several times and rebooted my system. I am convinced that ancestry.com had sync problems that I was unlucky enough to get into the middle of. The reason I want to keep my online tree and not attempt to sync now [hopefully the problems are solved] is that if I begin to sync, I get a message box saying there are conflicts in information for lots of people and it then shows lots of FTM changes that need to be uploaded to ancestry.com. There should be zero, or at least very few that originated in FTM. I cancelled the sync at that point. BTW: Can you force a sync in one direction only? Probably not, as that is essentially what I will be doing by the above.

Wish me luck in the next few days.

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 7:57PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2013 8:00PM GMT
I believe the sync error has to do with compacting the file. The FTM works beautifully until you compact you tree. This is a software problem and needs to be fixed immediately. By the threads I could find on this subject, it appears that Ancestry.com either hasn't heard about the problem or is having a difficult time resolving the issue. There are people who have been posting for a very long time on this topic... many threads out there. There's no way that I can unlink my tree with success. Given the choice, there would have to be two trees. One for FTM and one for Ancestry.com... what a chore!
By the way, how do we un-compact our tree???
Also, the FTM shuts down on certain requests. The theory is great. The ability to attain successful results is difficult.

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 8:15PM GMT
That's not been my experience. I have been using 2012 since it's release. I compact my tree often. In fact, I compact it before every sync. I have only had one failed sync that resulted in having to unlink the my tree from my FTM file.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions