Search for content in message boards

Photos/Stories Files Not Syncing

Photos/Stories Files Not Syncing

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 1:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jun 2013 1:39AM GMT
How do I sync all of my photos and stories that I have added to Ancestry.com before I had Family Tree Maker 2012? I have census reports and things like that but no photos and stories. It gives me a link and a File Not Found. I have well over 500 files online and it would take me months to get it all onto my computer manually considering I started it all on the website. So is there an option or am I just out of luck until it is added as an option to the software? Thanks in advance.

Re: Photos/Stories Files Not Syncing

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 2:31AM GMT
Did you select the option to sync or download your media files when you first downloaded your tree?

Barbara

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 3:05AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2013 3:06AM GMT
The file I had was exported from the website to my computer before I had the program installed. When I got the program I then imported it into the software. When I sync'd to the website to the software everything was there but the Photos and Stories.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 3:27AM GMT
Did you export to a GED file from your Ancestry file? Or, did you use the feature in Family Tree Maker 2012 to create a new tree on your own computer from your online tree?
If you did the later, it should download all media with your tree. I'm in the middle of running something else so can't check the options right now.
If you want to use the sync feature to keep the 2 trees sync'd up, you have to have Family Tree Maker to do the download for you, not an export from Ancestry.com. GED exports don't include media.

Barbara

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 10:25PM GMT
Is there a way to sync between FTM2012 and Ancestry.com without downloading any media files? I don't need the media files on my computer and certainly don't need multiple copies of each census record. Each time I sync the media file seems to multiply in size.

I just want to be able to sync without the media files so that I can analyze data and clean up locations and source citations. I always upload photos and stories from my external drive to Ancestry.com and prefer not to have any media files on my internal hard-drive. I am hoping that eliminating the media from the sync feature will also help with the sync failure issues.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 10:47PM GMT
Basically you will need to make the media private.
See the community post here: http://ancestryforums.custhelp.com/posts/dfb208436d?commentI...

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 11:01PM GMT
You can sync without record images.

Before you sync, be sure to review the settings. When you select a tree to "Download from Ancestry," the first pop-up window has an option "download citation media from ancestry." Uncheck that box, to prohibit census and other record images from downloading to your computer.

While you are there, I strongly recommend that you uncheck the box to synchronize automatically. Using Manual sync gives you much better control.

If you are uploading to ancestry.com from FTM, when you click on "Upload and Link to Ancestry" you will have options before you complete that, and you should review all of those options as well.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions