Search for content in message boards

HANNA family in DERRYLEE

HANNA family in DERRYLEE

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 7:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
For years I have been searching for information on the Hanna family in Derrylee, Tyrone. Today as I searched a new (to me) website KIWICELTS administrative divisions of Ireland, I discovered that the family story of my Grandmother born east of Dungannon in Tyrone in a little town of Derrylee was incorrect. It appears Derrylee was actually in Tartaraghan parish in County Armagh. No wonder my searches turned up no clues. So I am looking for Sara A HANNA's family. Sarah A. HANNA b. 9 jan 1866, daughter of Thomas HANNA b. 1838, wife Mary b. 1844. Sarah's sister Mary "May" was born in Derrylee also in about 1869. The family went to New York in 1871 and Sarah married Joseph Russell Walden. If anyone has information on this family, I'd sure appreciate an email, either on this list or at twalden27@gmail.com
I guess I'm starting all over again here.

Re: HANNA family in DERRYLEE

Posted: 31 May 2010 1:09AM GMT
I did quite a lot of work on the Hanna family in Tartaraghan and neighbouring parishes a few years ago. I would really need to access the files in my old PC but off the top of my head, I seem to remember that there were two Hannas living in Tartaraghan parish for the 1864 Griffith's Valuation: Robert Hanna (this is my line) who was living in Ballynarry, and Martha Hanna who was living in Derrylee townland.

At the time, I tried hard to link the two Hanna families together. From church records, I found one or two births to a William and Mary Hanna in Derrylee. (I presumed that William was the son of the above Martha.) As my Robert had had a son called William, who emigrated to Paterson, NJ and married an Irish-born Mary, I tried to link the Derrylee Hannas to mine. But, the first children's names did not tally. Then, they disappeared, there was nothing more in the church books, and I searched for them in the censuses in the usual places where Tartaraghan people emigrated: Paterson, NY and S. Manchester, Conn. I did not find them, obviously because they had gone to NY. Now, I know!

How did you get the precise Derrylee link to your Hanna branch? What were the other names of Sarah and Mary's siblings? There were no Thomases among my Robert Hanna's sons. At the time, I presumed that the Hannas of Derrylee came originally from the Hannas in Killyman parish, Co. Armagh as the early church records were shared between these two parishes. I searched for Hannas in the early Killyman church books (1785-1820), but did not have time to browse the later years. I will have to relook what I wrote down - I do remember that there were Martha Hannas at the time. I may have some Killyman confirmation records somewhere though.

BTW, there were no Hannas in either the early Tartaraghan Church of Ireland books or the Milltown Church of Ireland books till the late 1850's / early 1860's. I know this because I accessed both lots of books. So, the Derrylee Hannas and my line obviously came from another parish originally. I think that mine came up from Kilmore parish, Co. Armagh.But, why did mine move to Ballynarry, Tartaraghan there in the late 1850's and why did yours appear in an approximate same time frame?? It could be a fluke or not!

Warning: this is all from the top of my head. I really will have to dig up my files!

Posted: 31 May 2010 1:41AM GMT
I am sorry not to be able to persue this right now, but rest assured I will do so. I have sent you a guest invitation to my tree so you may see what little I have on the Hanna family. Tom Walden twalden27@gmail.com

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 5:24PM GMT
Tom, I have come across a Hanna family in Lee, Berkshire County, Massachusetts. I know they belong to your group, because John Hanna married Rachel Wilson who was the daughter of Joseph & Rachel (Matchett) Wilson of Derrylee. Joseph was the brother to our Alexander Wilson.

Joseph's son, also named Joseph, is also to be found in Lee in the same timeframe (mid 1800s), married to a Jane Anderson. Jane's sister, Catherine, married Thomas Weatherhead, related to William Weatherhead who was married to Catherine Wilson, daughter of Alex (above).

Have I confused you yet? If you are interested in the Hanna records in Massachusetts, they are available online at familysearch.org (under the Massachusetts Death Records).

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: HANNA, CRANSTON, MATCHET, WILSON
Thanks so much for the leads for my HANNA family. These clues are confusing now but, as you know, once you put a few key people onto a branch it usually sorts out. I do remember a MATCHET turning up when I was researching possible HANNAs in TYRONE. I will pursue the clues you've afforded me and let you know how it all turns out. I have given my family information to the DERRYLEE townland page and the website manager, Pat Conners, says it will be added to the website in a couple of months. These townland pages will eventually give us all information added by descendants and the Irish jumble will be able to be sorted through another useful tool.
http://www.igp-web.com/armagh/townlands/Derrylee.htm
Thanks again for your help,
Tom WALDEN

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: HANNA
Eileen,
I created a small tree at Ancestry.com with the names you gave me and found some of the people in the records but it remains confused. I am leaving it as a search project and would be glad to invite you to the tree so you can help me straighten it out, so don't be puzzled when you get an invitation to this little tree.
Tom

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 3:06PM GMT
Unfortunately, I am not able to connect to the website.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 5:08AM GMT
Surnames: Hanna, Cranston
Did you ever find your records, including the confirmation records? I found an Australian family with a Robert Hanna who lived about the time of my Thomas' father and who was said to emigrate to Canada. Before my Dad died he made mention of a vague Canadian connection for the Hannas. My gr grandfather and family came over directly to New York but perhaps his father Robert went on to Canada. Still not a heck of a lot of information on this family. Did find they would be descendants of plantation Scots Hannas and therefor the Hannay clan. Tartan and Crest.
Attachments:

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 9:03PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jun 2013 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Hanna
I have a John Joseph Hanna 1822-1884. He left Ireland somewhere between his birth 1822 in Ireland and his marriage in Smith Falls, ON (Leeds and Grenville County, ON, Canada) to a Agnes Maxwell in 1845. Census records say from Co. Armagh, Ireland.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions