Search for content in message boards

Updating FTM 10 tree to 2012

Updating FTM 10 tree to 2012

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 2:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have my tree using FTM 10 and have uploaded to the web at http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/n/i/g/Lowell-Nigo...

Recently I upgraded to FTM 2012. How do I upload my new information to the web? Will my original site "go away" or will it just be updated. Thanks

Re: Updating FTM 10 tree to 2012

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 2:23AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2013 2:27AM GMT

Your original site has already "gone away". FTM is apparently continuing to maintain these reports on their servers, but I don't think they have any search engine that will search them. Occasionally I will run across one of these old-style web views of FTM reports from Google Searches. FTM abandoned these about 10 years ago.

FTM2012 will now upload your tree to ancestry.com as an ancestry member tree. Click in the "Family Trees" button in the top button bar on this page to see a family tree.

BTW, to convert your old family treemaker file to a current .ftm file, you will need an older program to convert the file from the FTM10 format so that FTM2012 can read it. Search the Help section above for a Help screen giving details.

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 2:45AM GMT
Thanks for the reply. The "tree is still there and if you Google Lowell Reed Nigoff it takes you to the FTM page.

I have already converted all my information to FTM 2012. I did, as you suggested, use an intermediate program.

If I upload to Ancestry, will the same URL get me to the updated page or the old one?

Thanks, Lowell

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 3:48AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2013 5:21AM GMT
You don't use "urls" with ancestry member trees. (The urls are different - trees are within the ancestry.com family of data.)

If you have uploaded a tree with FTM2012, you access it in the Plan Workspace in the right-hand panel.

You upload trees to ancestry at any spot in FTM by clicking on the "Share" "Green-leaf" button in the upper-right corner and click on "upload tree to ancestry".

The two web presentations have nothing in common.

Ancestry trees are hyper-linked trees. The old FTM Pages were uploads of FTM reports.

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 3:36PM GMT
I have decided to finally upload and synchronize my family tree to Ancestry.com. Could I bother you once again with a question?

My tree name is “FT 2-19-13 New” I would prefer a different name to be displayed.

When I click under TreeSync – Access via Ancestry “Up load and link to Ancestry” it shows Ancestry tree name: “FT 2-19-13 New” in the box. Can I change this name to, something like, Nigoff Family Tree? Will Ancestry still link and sync to the correct file?

Thanks again,
Lowell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic