Search for content in message boards

double dates

double dates

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 2:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2013 2:34AM GMT
Anybody else having issues with entering double year dates prior to 1752? I get lots of error messages and incomplete displays. You would think that as common a situation as this would have been dealt with, especially when you consider that Ancestry owns Family Tree Maker & the FTM software not only handles double year dates easily, but prompts you when you enter a date in which double year would apply

Re: double dates

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 4:02PM GMT
Online ancestry tree does not do double dates. This is annoying when you are syncing a tree where as you say family tree maker not only allows them but prompts you for them. I have resorted to putting in a single date so it will show in the ancestry tree and putting the double date in the description so it won't be lost. When I detach my family tree maker I'll change them back.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 3:05AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2013 3:06AM GMT
I don't understand what you are saying. You said in one sentence that there is some kind of undefined issue with double dates in FTM; then in the next sentence say that everything is fine.

What is the problem?

Have you checked your options at Tools > Options > Dates? and also at the Tools > Options > Warnings Tab? Is 1752 entered as your desired date?

My experience is that FTM works as far it goes, but does have issues with double dates.

For example, it doesn't handle the issue of how to enter a single date when you don't know if it's new or old style. Also, the Date calculator doesn't recognize the old/new changeover in calculating dates. Also, sorting dates in reports and the index can result in mysterious order of people.

Just what exactly are your issues with double-dating in FTM?

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 3:20AM GMT
I think [could be wrong] that the OP was referring to what happens to perfectly entered double dates in ftm when they synced to ancestry... ancestry online tree will not show any year in this case.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 3:30AM GMT
Hmmmm. Another reason not to sync.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions