Search for content in message boards

Crazy Tree

Crazy Tree

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 6:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is anyone else finding crazy stuff in the Family chart? I found one so mangled I couldn't fix it. Had called customer service and they sent me a link to an 2010 article about attaching and detaching persons in the tree - as though I had made a mistake and needed to fix it. It looked like someone had detached whole lines and then attached people named Unknown which would not go away no matter what I did!

So I uploaded from FTM2012 again to a new name and worked on that. Now I'm getting duplicates of people showing up, even though when I go to the profiles there is only one of them.

If something squirrelly is going on, just tell us so we can avoid working from there, I don't want to make matters worse by adding records and people and then find out my tree is so mangled it can't be corrected.

And if it's cosmetic, and it's only in that view that we see this crazy stuff, please let us know that.

Re: Crazy Tree

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 8:05PM GMT
Ok, more crazy! I thought I originally put this under AFT forum and found it here. Deleted and re-input over on AFT and now it's back here on FTM! Please don't ask why I don't put a question like this on AFT or tell me this is something I should send to customer service. They are no help. I just want to alert people in case they are seeing it too. Either someone there is moving it or their database systems are truly messed up!

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 8:24PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2013 9:13PM GMT
A moderator may move your post if s/he feels that it belongs on a different forum.

You appear to be posting about an issue with Family Tree Maker software, and that is where your post is located.

You mention "AFT" which is something entirely different. I don't think "Ancestry Family Tree" software exists any longer. If you mean "AMT" - or Ancestry Member Tree - that is the online tree product from ancestry.com which syncs with FTM 2012.

If you are talking about problems with FTM, do you regularly compact your database? That process, especially when done frequently and multiple times, will often clean up issues.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 9:28PM GMT
I compact and backup my tree every day, as I understand that helps keep things clean. I guess I am talking about AMT - the Family view of the tree charts.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 9:45PM GMT
Thanks for the clarification.

My best suggestion to you is to avoid the Family View in your Ancestry Member Tree. It is a simplistic graphic display that is not designed to handle multiple relationships.

In my own family, my maternal grandparents are 3rd cousins, husband and wife and have at least 7 other convoluted relationships because of cousins marrying and in-law relationships. I can only see those using the Relationship Calculator in FTM.

There have been numerous threads on this topic on the Member Trees and Ancestry Comments boards. When cousins marry that particular graphic will sometimes show duplicate representations of the person. Not understanding that, members have often deleted what they thought was a duplicate, only to be horrified that "both" disappeared. It is important to use the List of All People to determine if there are actual duplicates.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic