Search for content in message boards

Howard from Tipperary

Howard from Tipperary

Posted: 22 Dec 2004 11:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Dec 2005 11:13PM GMT
Surnames: Dann, Burnet, Howard, Lindsay, Rigney, Parkinson, Langford, Westman
Hi Barb,
I have not been able to sort out the many Howards in my background because it looks like several Rigneys and Howards intermarried.
Henry RIGNEY: born 1808 in Templemore, died 1873 in London Twp., Ont.; married Frances HOWARD (1802-1905) in Ireland. They came to London Twp. in 1836.
Their son William (born 1834 in Thurles, Tipperary & my g grandfather) oddly enough married another Frances HOWARD in Ontario. She was born in 1842 in Ire. to John Howard (1807-1885) and Anna Maria Unknown (1822-1891).
I thought that perhaps John was a brother of one of yours. His daughter Mary Louise Howard married her 1st cousin Sammy George Rigney (my grandfather's brother)
There are also Danns, such as a William, Rbt. and Cecil who married in somewhere along the line with Rigneys and Burnets I think.
My grandmother Rigney was a Parkinson and that lot all intermarried with other Parkinsons, Langfords, Lindsays and Westmans before they started intermarrying with the Rigneys and the occasional Howard and Dann. I mention all these names just in case they ring a bell. Many of them are buried in Arva or at Birr United in Anglican cemeteries, but most connections were Wesleyan Methodist.

The bottom line might be that I don't have anything good on the Howards to help you. I had hoped that you might have some clues that go back another generation in Ireland that would connect my two Howard lines and we could figure out your Elizabeth also. I have no info about any of them coming with Col. Talbot.

I hope we can trade a bit and come up with a link.

Nancy Rigney Seger

Re: Howard from Tipperary

Posted: 15 Jul 2006 1:44AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2006 3:42AM GMT
Surnames: Bell
Hi Nancy ... I'm looking for ancestors who lived in the Birr/Bryanston area of London Township and are buried in the Medway/Deckers Cemetery. I have a transcript of that cemetery and see lots of folks with the names you're looking for. My great grandparents were John and Sarah (Hayes) Bell. He came from England in 1836, she from County Tipperary, Ireland in 1847. I know they had relations in the Bryanston area but don't know the names. Can you help in any way?
Thanks in advance ... Helen

Nancy Seger (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 11:40PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2006 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Hayes, Rigney, Gardiner, Irwin
Hi Helen,

I am glad to hear from you, but I cannot find any Bell or Hayes connection. I looked through the Rigney research done by Cheryl Siemens - with all of the hundreds of names I had hoped for a Bell or a Hayes. No such luck. But, they all had to have known each other, since it seems that most of that part of the township was settled by people from Tipperary.

One slim clue from the page of my father's birth:
Ida Trenchard Bell, born May 21, 1901, daughter of
Wm. Bell (farmer) and Sarah Elizabeth Irwin.

George Irwin, born May 21, 1901 to George Irwin (farm
labourer) and Sarah Gardiner

I don't know if this helps. My people are buried all over the place. Birr United Anglican, Arva, Littleton, Medway/Decker, Woodland and some that I don't remember just now. As a child, one of my grandmothers took me to Birr and Medway and my guess was that it was to see Parkinson graves.

I have many old photos with a Rigney name and "Bryanston" written on the back by the photgraphy studio. I could not figure out this location it for some time.

At any rate, I am afraid that I am no help.

Best Regards,
Nancy Rigney Seger

Posted: 23 Jul 2006 3:37AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2006 3:42AM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Hayes
Hi Nancy ... Thanks for the information. I didn't expect to find any Hayes connection as my g. grandmother, Sarah (Hayes) Bell arrived in Canada an orphan from Ireland in 1847 .. all her family died either on the voyage or at Grosse Ile. John Bell came from England, arriving in 1836, but where he came to is still unknown. Also I haven't discovered a marriage record for them ... yet. Always mysteries!
You mention Regney research, Nancy. Can you tell me a bit more about that project, please. Seems we have roots in the same area of Middlesex County, at least.
Regards ... Helen McMeekin

Posted: 18 Jul 2009 10:44PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2009 1:38PM GMT
Surnames: Parkinson, Mape, Cobb
Hi Nancy

i know this is some years later, but I am related to the Parkinsons you mention in this thread. Most of my Parkinsons married into the Westmans and Langfords that you name. I think their graves are all over London area! I am from John Parkinson m to Ann Cobb in Co Lois, Ireland, whose parents were Thomas Parkinson married to Elizabeth Mape, born c 1770's in Laois Co, Ireland. Is this the Elizabeth you mention in your message? Most of the Parkinson children emigrated between c 1820 (the eldest daughter Martha was first) and 1847 (my gr-gr-great grandfather above was among this lot), to the London Middlesex Ontario area. Elizabeth, Martha, John and Robert are most of the usual first names in the Langfords, Westmans and Parkinsons, making sorting them out very interesting.

Please let me know if you are still interested in this line. We have a cousin in Ireland (a Langford!) who has been doing research, and there is a book out now on the Langfords and WEstmans, that the Parkinsons are among.

And if you are related to me, even better!

thanks very much
Susan Flynn
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 5:48PM GMT
I would like to learn more about the book you mentioned. Am interested especially in the Parkinsons. On a prior post you mentioned that a Thomas in your family married a Mary McRoberts. I am related to Thomas' brother James, who also lived in London.

Thank you for any information!

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Parkinson, Irwin, Phillips
Nancy, I don't know who Barb is or how to contact her. I am working on the genealogy of Ida Trenchard Bell & Thos. Ivan Dickson Parkinson. I am looking for all descendants and siblings of Ida. My husband would be a distant cousin of
Ida's mother, Sarah Elizabeth Irwin. Sarah's mother was a sister to my husband's Gt. Grandfather, William Phillips.
Please contact me at dianabutcher@copper.net
Diana

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 5:47PM GMT
Helen,
Some of the names that Nancy mentioned--in particular Ida Trenchard Bell, connect eventually to my husband's lineage. Ida was d/o Wm. and Sarah (Irwin) Bell, as you know. I have Wm. Bell's parents as John Bell & Nancy Franklin. I got that info. from various sources.

I am very, very interested in communicating with anyone who is researching Wm Bell and his wife, Sarah(Irwin), because it is her mother, Jane, who was a sister to my husband's Gt. Grandfather, William Phillips.
Diana

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 11:32PM GMT
I am working with someone on the Bell-Trenchard-Irwin families; she has lots of info. about Bells in London, Ontario, Canada, but she doesn't belong to Ancestry. Please respond to me if interested in Bell family, and I'll connect you. Thank you!

Linda Wolfe Kelley
lkelley49@gmail.com

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 2:09AM GMT
Hi Linda ... I really don't think there is a connection between my Bell Family and the one you mention. None of the family names are the same. Thanks for the info anyway, and best of luck in your searching. Helen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic