Search for content in message boards

Mayo coat of arms

Mayo coat of arms

Ken Klamm (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2002 10:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Anyone have a picture of a Mayo coat of arms and family crest? I'm researching coats of arms in my family tree. All I can find is a description for the name Mayo, which is:

Components of the Mayo Family Name Coat of Arms
The Shield is: A red background with a chevron between three gold crowns.
The Crest is: A falcon devouring a snake.

Re: Mayo coat of arms

Posted: 11 Jan 2002 12:49PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2002 1:27PM GMT
The one I used in my book comes from Wiltshire. "Sable a chevron between three roses argent a chief" was the early May family of England. This is very similar. It has a dove sitting on top of an armour helment with an olive branch in its beak. Three roses seperated by a chevron. The bottom says, " Mayo" and Nuncia Pacis Oliva. This is Latin for Olive branch of peace. My understanding is that most all of the early Mayo Arms were nearly the same with some variation around the Mayo theme. This encludes May, Mays, Mathew and others. This is one way English "Professional" Genealogist know the families are all of the same cut of people.

Kenny Klamm (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2002 9:57PM GMT
The Mayo crest sent to me by Pat had three crowns and a unicorn, and the words "Neg Aspera Terrent" written across the bottom. I'm not sure what language that is or what it means. Does anyone know? Also I'm not sure what is the difference between coat of arms and crest. Coat of arms almost sounds like a military term.

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 12:35AM GMT
I think it is Latin. The future tense conjugation of I am is : I will be, you will be, he she or it will be. Plural is we will be, you will be, They will be. Singular Latin is: ero, eris, erit Plural is: erimus, eritis, erent ( They will be) Terra ------
Drop the a and add erent. Terrent. What ever that verb means, it is in the plural third person. Terra is land as a noun. As a verb, they will be grounded or landed. Neg could be not or negative. They will not be grounded. I don't know the other root word. Maybe there is a teacher out there, I am only a CPA.

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 9:46PM GMT
I checked the online Latin dictionary.

"Neg Aspera Terrent" - from one Mayo crest that I have

Neg = Root word means to refuse or deny
Asper = Root word asper means rough or severe
Terrent = Root word terra means earth, ground soil

Deny severe ground???? Any Latin teachers out there, please tell us what this phrase means. They do still teach Latin in school don't they?

andy (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2002 12:02AM GMT
How could the Mayo family have a coat of arms, my Mayo ancestors couldn't afford a roof over their head.

Posted: 14 Jan 2002 1:00AM GMT
Well, I was close. With terra as a 3rd person plural verb having the ending of erent and now knowing the other root word, Deny. We will not be severly grounded or landed. Sounds like a Viking or an ocean man of sorts.

Posted: 14 Jan 2002 1:12AM GMT
Down down we go
Oh decadence, where is thy reward
Oh humility, where is thy honor
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions