Search for content in message boards

How to transfer person details from one of my member trees to another

How to transfer person details from one of my member trees to another

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
I initially started with one tree which is now too big as I have tried to follow too many people. I now want to do individual trees following ie mothers mother, mothers father and would like to know how to transfer person details from my original tree to a new tree without having to enter the details again.
Any ideas would be greatly appeciated.
Thanks
Paula

Re: How to transfer person details from one of my member trees to another

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 5:39PM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2011 7:01PM GMT
Paula,

First, you'll need a family tree software program into which you can import/export data. You can get a plain vanilla program called PAF at the LDS site here...

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp?page=home/welcom...

Once you've installed your program...

1. Download your member tree as a gedcom file
2. Import that file into your program
3. Within the program, delete all entries that you don't want in your new member tree.
4. Save and upload the now-trimmed family tree gedcom file
to ACOM as a new member tree

That's one way of doing it.

Another way (perhaps easier) is to download your current tree then upload that same file again giving it a new name. From within the tree, you can then delete unwanted entries.

Whatever you decide, delete unwanted lineages carefully or you'll probably wind up with unconnected remnants that can be a pain to ferret out for deletion.

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 7:42PM GMT
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.
Paula

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 3:22PM GMT
BTW, at risk of stating the obvious, you'll have to re-upload or transfer any media files from one tree to the other...or purchase FTM 2011 which will handle media files as well. Good Luck.

Posted: 27 Feb 2011 7:29PM GMT
For a large amount of information it sounds like the above is the way to go.

For an individual person look at their page and in the row that has search records, print etc. there is "more options". That brings down a menu which has "save person to another tree".

Be careful using this. It has some quirks to it. It doesn't save everything exactly. It doesn't get all the sources, etc. You may end up with an ancestry tree. It would be your own tree but at a casual glance would look like any other listing of trees. Also right now I can't get it to work for me. It has worked for years until about Feb 18th. Hopefully it will work for you.

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 11:56AM GMT
Thank you, will give it a try.
Paula

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 4:50PM GMT
Hi - I've just seen this thread. There's an easy way to do this. Go to the parent of the person who should be attached. on their page, choose other options then Save a Person to Another Tree. Follow the prompts, selecting the person who is wrongly placed and the transfer will be made, along with all the details and sources. I've done this and it is really quick! Good luck. Mo

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 1:48PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2012 1:48PM GMT
No Mo,

You're confused about two different functions. What you're describing "selecting the person who is wrongly placed and the transfer will be made, along with all the details and sources", is moving a profile within the same tree, not copying the profile from one tree to another.

When a profile is copied from one tree to another, the source material, ie; the linked or attached media, doesn't auto-copy in one action.

Nothing should be quick, quick makes for boo boos.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions