Search for content in message boards

Testing Large files

Testing Large files

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 7:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jul 2013 2:39AM GMT
There seems to be a lot of people that have issues with large files.
I do not have any real large files, so if any one would like to share a LARGE (40,000+) contact me using the Ancestry "Contact" found in the user properties and I will provide a email address to which your file could be sent to.

This file(s) will NOT be shared with anyone, and the Syncing will be done as a Private type. The provider will be given access to this private synced if the owner so wishes.

Re: Testing Large files

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 9:50PM GMT
This is a GEDCOM file with 217,000 people from the Swedish island of Gotland: http://hem.passagen.se/ollove/Gotland.zip

It's no problem uploading it to Ancestry, though Ancestry sometimes has problems showing the tree in other than pedigree mode. I have made some changes and tried syncing, works. But it's only a GEDCOM file with data, no media that is what makes trees huge and what may be a cause of sync problems.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 2:06AM GMT
Thanks, I have downloaded the zip file.
Will have a go at it tomorrow (July 9, 2013)

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 3:11PM GMT
Had a go of it and it failed at 94%.
Attachments:

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 4:05PM GMT
Tried a different program, completed but had about 70 Unrecoq date issues. This may also be the source of your sync problems

Main Record:0 @I125422@ INDI
* Unrecog. Date: (ung)
Main Record: 0 @I128196@ INDI
Sub Section: 1 BIRT
* Unrecog. Line for an Individual Record: 2 _CONF_NOTE e
Placed in Note - Catharina Elisabeth Nilsdotter:
----------------------------------------
Main Record: 0 @I128562@ INDI
Sub Section: 1 DEAT
* Unrecog. Line for an Individual Record: 2 _CONF_NOTE e
Placed in Note - Christina Nilsdotter:
Main Record:0 @I135126@ INDI
* Unrecog. Date: 29 FEB 1795
Main Record: 0 @I138315@ INDI
Sub Section: 1 RESI
* Unrecog. Line for an Individual Record: 3 NOTE Stavas smitts i husfèorhèorslèangden 1888-1892
Placed in Note - Lars Johan Wilhelm Nyberg: RESI: NOTE Stavas smitts i husfèorhèorslèangden 1888-1892
Main Record:0 @I140494@ INDI
* Unrecog. Date: (ung)
Main Record: 0 @I14502@ INDI
Sub Section: 1 RESI
* Unrecog. Line for an Individual Record: 3 NOTE Stavas smitts i husfèorhèorslèangden 1888-1892
Placed in Note - Maria Christina Olivia Björkqvist: RESI: NOTE Stavas smitts i husfèorhèorslèangden 1888-1892
Main Record:0 @I149602@ INDI
* Unrecog. Date: (späd)

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 7:24PM GMT
Correct me if I'm wrong but the poster said the synch works for that GECOM file. What's different about the file you tried to synch?

My file is currently 49,420 individuals, with 23K+ associated media files and is just over 251 MB in size. I am successfully synching (knock on wood, I have had problems in the past).

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 7:30PM GMT
You're right, but I was a little bit wrong...

I downloaded that zip a couple of weeks ago, it was then 213,000 instead of the current 217,000 persons in it. So I haven't tried that actual file.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 10:50PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2013 2:15AM GMT
Tommy,
I should have stated that the GEDCOM import failed at 94%.

I have NOT been able to open it in FTM as of yet.

I have tried two other programs and they both open the GEDCOM in their format, but it took over 3 hours to import.
Both of them take about 5-10 minutes each to just pop open the index of people. I sure would NOT want to try and do a sync with a file this large.

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 12:10AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2013 2:28AM GMT
Since I seem to be using a large count-of-people file at 141,742 people, I was intrigued by one over 50% larger than my own. My experience has been that interconnections among the people within the file as well as media has a direct impact on the ability of Family Tree Maker programs and Ancestry.com to work with said files.

My first attempt was to import the GEDCOM into my old standby - FTM 16. It gnawed its way through, loading the dataset in a total of 12 minutes. I expected FTM 16 to do well at this size as during the Beta of 2012, I had run a file of 800,000 people against 16 and the then-forthcoming 2012.

My second attempt was with FTM 2012 current version. 13 minutes after I started the import, FTM went to Saving the file. 25 minutes later FTM 2012 had not produced any dataset and then I got an import error message.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions