Search for content in message boards

Best way to create a book of your tree

Best way to create a book of your tree

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am worried that my kids won't want to learn FTM or don't have the IT skills. So, I want to create a book showing their ancestry that leads to the Revolutionary war on many lines of my tree and in some cases back to European royalty.

Can someone tell me where I might see some examples of how people document their findings and possibly their sources.

Thanks,
RR

Re: Best way to create a book of your tree

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 2:58AM GMT
I do it outside of FTM/Ancestry.

I create albums targeted to the recipient (my niece, my nephew, my paternal first cousin), with stories, photos, etc., being careful to be sure that it is NOT a dry recitation of sources, charts, begats, etc. Detailed relationship charts and sources are on a CD/DVD included in the hard copy album.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 5:16AM GMT
this sounds interesting, i'm at this stage too. do you use a particular software to create the albums, (photos and text etc.) I'd be glad of more specific suggestions on this.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 10:15AM GMT
I use Microsoft Word, because I find that it is more flexible than the story option in FTM, for example. I may have only a few lines about one elusive direct line or I may have several pages on another.

I use a loose-leaf album, rather than a fixed-post scrapbooking-type album. I include some original items, photos, funny stories, newspaper clippings, etc.

I made one for my nephew as a wedding present last year. There will be an addendum for their first anniversary, because I recently had a major breakthrough on one direct line.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 11:26AM GMT
I use the book function of FTM 2012. One of my books consist of the title page, table of contents, an ancestor tree that shows the basic relationships in the family, Text document Introduction to the family, Descendants of primary family, Descendants of each maternal family, and and index.

In the notes section for each person I have anecdotes about the family as will as notes from my research I try keeping this information in a narrative and in complete logically arranged sentences.

The Introduction contains a review of each paternal and maternal family in the tree. It discusses what is known about the family where they come from, and common stories about the family.

Other text documents may discuss special things about the family. In one book I have a discussion of why I have associated the European and American family. In another I have a discussion of why I believe a Joshua is the same person as Joseph. In another a pivotal killing that in some places is described as a murder and others as the results of a military action.

One of the most important section of the book is the index. I have a running argument with myself whether it should be the first or last section in the documents. Currently the table of contents and the ancestry tree are at the very beginning.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 1:22PM GMT
A loose leaf book using Work is very intriguing in its flexibility. I do, however, like the idea of using the Book function of FTM in that if I find a necessary change, I can make it in my tree then refresh the book.

My problem with the FTM book is that it only goes back to 5 generations. I would like to follow the family roots back into Europe.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to expand the FTM book beyond 5 generations?

Thanks,
RR

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 3:16PM GMT
aresquare,
What version are you using?
I have never seen any version that had a limit on the reports or charts. All of them that I can remember have had the "Generations" listed as an option.

I just checked version 8 (not 2008) and it has an icon to select the number of generations.

Also note, you typed "Work"(Works) which is a different program than Word is and may not be as useful.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 3:46PM GMT
Thanks David,

My FTM version is 2012 and it is linked to ancestry.com online.

First, I did mean Word instead of Works.

As for the number of generations, I am just beginning to explore the idea of creating a book for my kids. Using ancestry.com, I went to More/Publish/Products/Family History Book/Standard book. Then on the "Choose a Tree" page it gives me the ability to pick the number of generations with only 4 or 5 generations. It's called MyCanvas. I also noted this product is limited to 250 pages and the number of pages with 5 generations (without any changes) is 169 pages.

Thanks,
RR

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 3:49PM GMT
You can select the number of generations to display on the report. Select the Up or Down icons to increase or decrease the number of generations. You can also add additional facts to the report using the "Items to Include" icon in the report section of the program. I use FTM's reports although there are some limitations with respect to images, etc. Many of my books are over 2,000 pages for single descendant lines.

I can send you an example if you are interested.

Regards,
Attachments:

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 3:50PM GMT
Make the reports / books in FTM 2012.

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions