Search for content in message boards

Question about syncing and updating

Question about syncing and updating

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I use FTM2010 and do 99% of all my work in the software. I also post that work onto Ancestry. Up to this point, I have not linked or synced the two because everything makes it sound like changes made on line go to your FTM software, but I want to know if it is the other way around. I don't want to sync them and lose everything because the Ancestry.com tree is older and when it syncs it takes that data.

Is it possible for Ancestry.com tree to update from FTM tree and NOT the other way around because I don't actually input or change anything using Ancestry.com?

Re: Question about syncing and updating

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 5:25PM GMT
Syncing works both ways. However, syncing will not happen from your old Ancestry tree; it will upload a new tree from FTM 2012. You can either keep the old ancestry tree and thus have two trees on ancestry, or delete the old ancestry tree.

Warning: if you ask ancestry they will say download your ancestry tree to a new ftm tree and merge. For most people using ftm as your primary that is NOT a good idea. But a beginning sync will make a duplicate either online or on your computer, no way to avoid that.

I do sync, and I do like it; but I have diligently been working on my FTM tree to make it independent of ancestry in case I lose the sync for any reason. It has taken about 18 months but I finally finished THAT project.

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 10:53PM GMT
What I am gathering is that syncing is not possible with FTM2010. I would need to get 2012 to be able to use sync

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 10:58PM GMT
Version 2012 was the first to offer the sync option.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 4:19AM GMT
You could also wait for FTM2013, which will be out in a few months. It's about to go into Beta now.

Note that there are people reporting problems with syncing. Because of those problems, some of us don't sync.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 2:04PM GMT
Well if syncing doesn't work, are the ever going to allow another file type for uploading a tree? I mostly use FTM software to build mine, but if I wanted to share it online for other family to see, I have to upload using a GEDCOM and that does not carry media files with it.

Anyway around that? Syncing sounded like the only option

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 2:11PM GMT
You will get a wide variety of opinions about syncing. Since the last couple of patches, it has become much more stable.

I back up regularly, just in case, and compact my file regularly.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 3:05PM GMT
You can do a regular upload of your file to ancestry. The link for that is in the upper right corner of each screen in FTM. In FTM2012, you can elect to upload with or without syncing, ie you can upload a "snapshot" of your file at that instant and can elect to sync or not sync changes going forward.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions