Search for content in message boards

James Craven, Gamekeeper/Game breeder

James Craven, Gamekeeper/Game breeder

Posted: 13 Jul 2009 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Craven
I am trying to find first entry to the United States of James Craven from Derbyshire, England. It would probably have been in 1926. He was a gamekeeper/breeder. He probably travelled alone to the US, although visited England annually thereafter. I don't think his family moved there with him. The town of 'Clinton' appears on one of the later passenger lists (1929) associated with his name and he always travelled into New York. Born 1884 in Scotland. Married Stefanie (Stefi) in Hungary around 1912-13, 3 children. I am also trying to find if he died in the US.

Re: James Craven, Gamekeeper/Game breeder

Posted: 20 Jul 2009 5:13PM GMT
Hi,
I have a feeling that you may have missed the second page of the passenger manifest from 1929.

His nearest relative from whence came is Mrs. J. Craven, Weston Underwood, Nr. Derby. His destination is Clinton, New Jersey. He had been in the U.S. in 1925 and 1928, but 1928 has writing over it. It may say 1929. Clinton was where he was on those dates.

He is going to the Game Conservation Inst. in Clinton, New Jersey. He intends to reside in the U.S. permanently.

Posted: 20 Jul 2009 5:22PM GMT
I've found him on the S.S. Caronia sailing from Liverpool 4 Feb 1928, arrived New York 14 Feb 1928.

James Craven, age 44, forester, born Scotland, Banchoy, visa issued at London 17 Jan 1928, last permanent address USA Alton,
nearest relative whence came: wife Mrs. S. Craven Weston Underwood Nr Derby, final destination: Alton, Illinois, was in U.S. in 1925 and 1927 in Alton, going home to Alton, Alton State Game Farm, Alton Illinois, intends to stay permanently

Posted: 20 Jul 2009 5:37PM GMT
James is listed on the U.K. incoming lists.

arriving 22 Dec 1927 on the Ascania from New York landed London, going to Weston Underwood Derby, age 44, forster.

arriving 11 Jan 1929 on the Berengaria from New York landed Southampton, going to Weston Underwood Derby 11 Lawn Street, age 45, breeder, USA last permanent address.

I can't seem to pick him up on earlier trips. You may want to try Find My Past. It has outgoing UK manifests. You'll have to buy credits or subscribe though.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions