Search for content in message boards

Michael Dwyer

Michael Dwyer

Posted: 12 Sep 2006 7:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dwyer, Kearney
I have struck a dead end. I am looking for a Michael Dwyer (b abt 1836)and spouse Johanna Kearney (b abt 1837) supposedly from County Clare. They migrated to South Australia on the "Lord Hungerford" in 1856. I believe he was a general labourer to start with and then became a wine maker. Can anybody give me any advise as to how to go about getting birth or marriage records please? Any other advise, information would be very very welcome

hdwyer@bigpond.net.au

Re: Michael Dwyer

Heather Hobbis (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2006 5:50AM GMT
Surnames: DWYER
Hi Heather

We have something in common i.e. our Christian names.

I'm in Adelaide, South Australia and for 10 years I have been doing free research for people all over the world who want information about family/ancestors who came to South Australia in the 1800's. I was in the South Australian state Library yesterday and I looked for some information regarding Michael Dwyer and family. The following is what I did manage to find:-

ARRIVAL FROM OVERSEAS.

Michel Dwyer and wife Joannah nee Kearney arrived in South Australia 1856 aboard the "Lord Hungerford".

BIOGRAPHIC INDEX OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Michael Dwyer came to South Australia. His occupation is recorded as a Winemaer, his Residence as Oaklands, and Marion and Meadows. His religion is recorded as Roman Catholic.

CHILDREN BORN TO MICHAEL DWYER AND JOHANNA KEARNEY IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA

1. James born 18th January 1869 in Sturt, District Adelaide reference book 70 page 226

2. Johanna born 28th December 1857 at Oaklands District Adelaide reference book 11 page 260

3. John Francis born 4th December 1866 at Sturt, District Adelaide reference book 48 page102

4. Martin born 8th September 1874 at Marion, District Adelaide reference book 141 page 27

5. Michael born 16th May 1865 at Sturt, District Adelaide reference book 33 page 284

6. William born 4th September 1860 at Green Hills, District Strathalbyn reference book 21 page 405. (The mother's maiden name is spelt KARNEY in this record)

MARRIAGES

1. Martin Ambrose aged 29 years, single, son of Michael Dwyer married 1th February 1904 to Agnes Maude aged 27 years, single, daughrer of Carl Eengelbrecht at St. Paul Church, Mount Gambier District Gre. reference book 218 page 644

2. Michael Dwyer aged 24 years, single, son of Michael Dwyer married 19th July 1884 to Mary aged 27 years, single, daughter of Michael Devitt at Roman Catholic Church, Marion, District Adelaide reference book 140 page 322

3. Michael Dwyer aged 38 years, single, son of Michael Dwyer married 6th November 1905 to Sarah aged 35 years, single, daughter of James Neill at St. Ann Church, Marion District Adelaide reference book 225 page 607

CHILDREN BORN TO MARTIN AMBROSE DWYER AND AGNES MAUDE ENGELBRECHT.

1. John Matthew born 10th December 1905 at Mount Gambier Dis. Gre. reference book 758 pae 293

2. Brian Born born 11th March 1908 at Mount Gambier, District Gre. reference book 799 page 205 symbol 'M' denoting this child is one of a multiple birth. (Born is part of this child's name, not a reference for "Birth" of the child)

3. Desmond Sarsfield born 11th March 1908 at Mount Gambier District Gre. reference book 799 page 205 symbol 'M'

4. Mary Elizabeth born 19th August 1910 at Mount Gambier, District Gre. reference book 848 page 192.

CHILDREN BORN TO WILLIAM DWYER AND MARY DEVITT.

1. Agnes Margaret born 24th January 1892 at Marion, District Adelaide reference book 494 page 374

2. Josephine Mary born 19th March 1890 at Oaklands District Adelaide reference book 455 page 450 symbol 'V' denoting - The Registrar has found a variation in the information on this birth record. Often the 'V' is just a spelling mistake.

3. Mary Genevieve born 27th May 1888 at Dunrobin, Distict Adelaide reference book 419 page 122

4. Michael Joseph born 20th May 1886 at Dunrobin District Adelaide reference book 375 page 111

DEATHS

1. James aged 2 months of Sturt died 28th March 1869 son of Michael Dwyer District Adelaide reference book 34 page 330 symbol 'A' denoting (1) the Registar has made an amendment to information on this death record and/or (2) The registar has included additional information on this death record.

2. Johanna aged 73 years of Marion died 18th November 1911 at Marion, wodow of Michael Dwyer District Adelaide reference book 361 page 217

3. John francis aged 6 weeks of Sturt died 18th January 1867 at Sturt, son of Michael dwyer, District Adelaide reference book 26 page 63

4. Michael aged 54 years of Marion died 17th November 1889 at Marion. Informant not recorded, District Adelaide reference book 218 page 644.

I will be going back into the State Library sometime within the next week, and I will look up marriages and children to the marriages of children of Michael Dwyer and Johanna Kearney and their children.

I don't know whether or not you live in South Australia, but in case you don't I'm sending some information about Place Names in South Australia.

"MARION"

Marion was regarded as a village on section 117 Hundreds of Noarlunga and Adelaide. "Marion" was named after Miss Marion Fisher, the daugher of James Hurtle Fisher, the first resident Commissioner.

"The water runs through the section ten months in the year; the view of Gulf St. Vincent and of the Downs to the souhward is beautiful: there is some good timber on it, and the soil is excellent. The present proprietor will reserve five acres for a Church and Glebe Land and two acres fo a wesleyan Chapel.

The above is taken from "MANNING'S PLACE NAME SOF SOUTH AUSTRALIA page 194

When I was growing up, I lived within a reasonable walking distance to Marion and to Oaklands. I can see why Michael recorded his occupation as a Winemaker, as the areas of Marion and Oaklands were absolutely flousishing with Grape Vines which were instilled into wine.

I'll get back toyou when I have the further marriage and birth records.

Regards

Heather
in a beautiful blue sky
and a nice warm afternoon.

Regards

Heather

(Your middle name is not Marie by any chance is it???)

Posted: 13 Oct 2006 2:18AM GMT

Hi Heather

Me again,

I was in the South Aus. State Library a few days ago and I did some searching around for marriages etc. of Dwyer family. The following is what I found:-

MARRIAGES.

1. Martin Ambrose aged 29 years single, son of Michael Dweyr married 15th February 1904 ato Agnes Mayude aged 27years, single, daugter of Carl Engelbrecht at St. Paul's Church, Mount Gambier District Gre. reference book 218 page 644

2. Michael Dwyer aged 24 years, son of Michael Dwyer married 19th July 1884 to Mary aged 27 years, single, daughter of Michael Devitt at Roman Catholic Church, Marion, District Adelaide reference book 140 page 322.

3. Michael Dwyer aged 38 years, single, son of Michael Dwyer married 6th November 1905 to Sarah aged 35 years, single, daugher of James Neill at St. Ann's Church, Marion, District Adelaide reference book 225 page 607

Posted: 13 Oct 2006 2:30AM GMT
Surnames: DWYER

Hi

I just started sending off some information of each of the above marriages, but the computer "had a fit" and I am having to send them off separately. I have managed to find the following:-

CHILDREN BORN TO MARTIN AMBROSE DWYER AND AGNES MAUD ENGELBRECHT.

1. John Matthew born 10th December 1905 at Mount Gambier, District Gre. reference book 758 page 295

2. Brian Born born 11th March 1908 at Mount Gambier, District Gre. reference book 799 page 20 symbol 'M' denoting Brian Born was one of a multiple birth.

3. Desmond sarsfield born 11th Mach 1908 at Mount Gambier, District Gre. reference book 799 page 203 symbol 'M"

4. Mary Elizabeth born 19th August 1910 at Mount Gambier, District Gre. reference book 848 page 192.

THERE ARE NO CHILDREN BORN TO MICHAEL DWYER AND SARAH NEILL.

CHILDREN BORN TO WILLIAM DWYER AND MARY DEVITT.

1. Agnas Margaret born 24th January 1892 at Marion, District Adelaide reference book 494 page 374

2. Josephine Mary born 19th Mach 1890 at Oaklands, District Adelaide reference book 455 page 450 symbvol 'V' denoting the Registar has found some variation in the information on this birth record. Often the vartiation is simply a spelling difference.

3. Mary Genevieve born 27th May 1888 at Dunrobin, District Adelaide reference bodok 541 page 122

4. Michael Joseph born 20th May 1886 at Dunrobin District Adelaide reference book 375 page 111

DEATHS.

1. Martin Ambrose aged 73 years of Wayville died 11th february 1948 at North Adelaide, District Adelaide reference book 723 page 704 symbol 'H' denoting Martin Ambrose died in a hospital.

2. Agnes Maud aged 54 years, of Somerton diede 20th September 1928 at Somerton, District Adelaide, wife of Martin Ambrose Dwyer reference book 515 page 277 symbol 'H'

3. Brian Boru (spelt Brian BORN) on the birth record, aged 38 years of Hawthorn died 24th July 1946 at Unley, District Adelaide reference book 703 page 3570

4. William aged 69 years of Oaklands Estate died 8th June 1930 at Oaklands Estate District Adelaide reference book 521 page 1895

I hope the above is of some interest to you.

Feel free to get back to me if there is anyone/anything else you would like me to look up for you.

Regards

Heather
in a lovely day
in Adelaide

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 3:22AM GMT
Hi Heather

I'm been doing family research and discovered that my husband's Great Auntie Amy Olive Elizabeth Hallifax married Martin Ambrose Dwyer some where between 1943 to 1948. They live in Wayville and after he pasted away she continued to live in the home that they shared together. I was wondering whether you have any information on them, maybe when they married.

Amy Hallifax raised her sisters (Dorothy Delphine Rowe) son Colin Hallifax Rowe, from birth as her sister died soon after child birth. Colin Rowe is my husbands Father who past away in 1967. Colin never spoke of Martin Dwyer. My husband and family never knew that Amy was married until I started my research. I am unable to find any records of their marriage but when she pasted away in 1979 she was buried as Amy Dwyer.

Regards

Sylvia
Living in Adelaide

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 4:36AM GMT
Sory due to the privacy laws. marriage records are not available after 1936. So I do not think I can help.

Heather
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions