Search for content in message boards

source of CPU RAM hog interfering with FTM?

source of CPU RAM hog interfering with FTM?

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings:

Everyday I bootup my laptop a background operation begins randomly anytime in the first couple hours of operation and lasts about an hour. Suddenly every other laptop tool I try to use slows way down or freezes, whether MS-Word, Excel, FTM ... It has an accompanying whirring sound that increases in pitch when another program is launched... as if a competition for computer resources has ensued. I get warning of high useage sometimes but no clue as to its specific source. Given I often work at FTM for hours at a session, it is frustrating to be forced to take a break. When I am òn a roll, I like to keep going.

I have checked my anti-virus repeatedly and find nothing operating. Nor is it MS-Disk Clean or Defrag. Might Microsoft's operating system be doing something like indexing in the background? If so, where might I find it and can it be managed to operate at more convenient times? Or, might it be something else?

Here is what I run: Win 7 Professional 64 bit on HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook, Intel Core i3 cpu and 4GB Ram. Internet access via a wireless LTE mobile hotspot (Sierra Aircard 763S). Current version of Norton 360 Antivirus, etc.

Cheers,
Bo

Re: source of CPU RAM hog interfering with FTM?

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 4:18PM GMT
Well, I didn't know this was a computer fixing board.. but for free you can try Malwarebites, and glary utilities. And open task manager to see what is running.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 5:43PM GMT
It is possible that one of the programs you have open is doing an automatic back up. Depending on the program this could take some time.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 7:11PM GMT
Just a thought. Normally Norton tries to do a full virus scan when it notices the CPU is idle. Like overnight if you leave the comouter running. If it isn't able to do one for a long time it will force a scan maybe when you're busy doing something else. The only way I've found to stop the scan is to shut down the computer. It won't close from Task Manager and I've never found a suspend or stop option in Norton. Good luck.

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 7:54AM GMT
Bo
Have you tried using Task Manager to see what's running?

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 4:29PM GMT
Greetings:

Thank you all for responding.

I raised this issue because of the many previous threads related to FTM out-of-memory issues. I thought this potential competition for resources from another program might be another way to address part of the FTM issues.

Anyway, yes - to those who suggested Task Manager - I have used it but to no avail ... so far.

I too thought Norton might check in unannounced in the background, but neither Norton's UI nor Task Manager show this when I get the characteristic slow down and whirring.

As for the autobackup of other programs, this too does not show in Task Manager.

I checked out Malwarebytes - I found it duplicative of the Norton version I have - but Glary Utilities was indeed helpful. My registry etc. should be smoother functioning now. Thank you for that tip!

Maybe I just need to do what I have been avoiding ... a disk backup, scrub my hardrive and re-install everything. Given the many MS update patches I have had over the past couple years, I am sure my system is a cluttered mess.

Cheers and thank you all,
Bo

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 12:55AM GMT
What brand is you computer? Have you checked your startup file to see what all starts up? You can go to the control panel, System,Adminsitrative tools, and schedule tasks and this should show what all task are scheduled and when.

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 8:32AM GMT
bo
"to those who suggested Task Manager - I have used it but to no avail ... so far."

"As for the autobackup of other programs, this too does not show in Task Manager."

When you checked Task Manager when the system was so busy that FTM wouldn't run properly, all you saw was "System Idle Process" running at over 90%?

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 1:34PM GMT
Greetings all:

When the issue occurs, I decided to check other tabs within Task Manager and it looks like two high-resource-using files/processes seem to be running that affect the CPU, Disk, Memory and Network at the same time: svchost.exe and System. A 3rd shows up under CPU: System Interrupts ... but the noise seems to be coming from a churning Disk, which increases in pitch when more programs are launched. The worst noise and slowness response seems to come when known resource-hog FTM is launched.

Cheers,
Bo

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 3:12PM GMT
Svchost.exe often runs when there is an issue with the wireless connection. I've seen high utilization for several seconds when the link fails. Do you have a complicated network?

FTM has to do a lot of work when it starts: it checks lots of entries and files, then creates several new C# .cs files and compiles them, simultaneously scanning through the 333 Mbyte place name database, followed by opening the tree database and skipping backwards and forwards as it extracts and copies the names and data.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions