Search for content in message boards

Public Member Trees

Public Member Trees

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
I uploaded a gedcom of my family tree but friends and family are unable to access it.
no names are showing when they go to the drop down menu on search and select P.M.Trees enters a name such as my ggrandfather George Mattinson, lots of trees come up but not mine.
I've been told it is accessable through my profile
I hope someone can help

Re: Public Member Trees

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 1:46AM GMT
Only paid subscribers can view public trees without having a specific invitation and password for same.

Are your family members registered as guest members with Ancestry? Have you individually authorized invitations for each one to view your tree? If not, you would need to ensure that these are in place. Non-paying guest members are not permitted to view public trees or view ACOM databases. If properly invited to view a member's public tree, they will be given a password to access your tree and to view the linked records within your tree.

If this is not the problem, please so state specifically here and someone will be better able to help you.

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 5:57AM GMT
They are paid subscribers but I don't think you need to be invited just to look as I have been able to see them. thank you for your reply

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 6:18AM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2011 6:25AM GMT
Since your family members are paid subscribers, they should be able to look at anything in your public trees except for living persons. That requires an authorization and an invitation also. But, paid subscribers should be able to view any public tree.

Andy and others have suggested creating another email address unconnected with ACOM account and then inviting that person (yourself) to view your tree. That way you could log out and then visit your tree to see what others see.

If no other responses are received, suggest you then contact the tech support staff at ACOM and present the problem to them.
-----------------Edit-------------------
If your gedcom file was just uploaded recently, it may not have been indexed as yet to be searchable. Several folks have commented on that on these boards recently. ACOM is many weeks behind in indexing the trees.

If that is the case, then your tree may not be found any time soon. You might want to consider copying the url address from the home page of your tree and sending the link by email to your family and friends. That way, they would go directly to your tree with little or no difficulty.

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 6:32AM GMT
Might not be pertinent but...if there's an "'" (apostrophe) in your tree name, it can create difficulties.

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 6:40AM GMT
Thank you

Posted: 28 Feb 2011 6:41AM GMT
Thank you for your help,

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 10:59AM GMT
Approaching this a different way!

I click on your name in this message, I click on your "1 Family Tree", and I see your "Mattinson / Radcliffe trees" without any problems.

But if I start by doing a general search on Ancestry for a "George Mattinson", born "1828"; died "1894" (who is in your tree) then your tree does not appear in the list of public trees!

Is this yet another case of Ancestry not updating the indexes?

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 12:45PM GMT
Thanks for letting me know. only I have a bigger problem now!
I phoned Ancestry yesterday to inform them that my tree was not showing in the index, last night it appeared but it is the tree I deleted after putting the query on this message board thinking I had done something wrong, that one was called "My Mattinson & Radcliffe Trees".
My new one which I uploaded by gedcom,is the one you have been able to access from my user name but which is not accessable from the index.problems, problems, problems :-(

Posted: 2 Mar 2011 1:17PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2011 1:20PM GMT
"...problems, problems, problems :-("

Enid, as pointed out by Bromo, it isn't a "problem" per se, it's the normal delay experienced in getting trees and their content indexed.

Simply send a link to your tree to those already-subscribed members interested in viewing it...or invite them as a guest or contributor or editor and ACOM will do it for you adding your tree to their drop-down menus.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic