Search for content in message boards

Hally / Haly / Hawley / English

Hally / Haly / Hawley / English

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 8:56PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 21 Oct 2005 3:31AM GMT
Surnames: Hally, Haly, Hawley, English
Michael Hally born about 1787/1788, County Cork. Married Catherine English born about 1780, Grange, Newcastle, County Tipperary. Children all baptised in Aughvanlomaun.

May be of same derivation as Haly of Ballyhally (Ballyhooly).

Family immigrated to America settling in Neenah, Wisconsin, the name being Hawley at that time.

Re: Hally / Haly / Hawley / English

Sandra J Hawley (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2005 2:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hally, Halley, Howley, Hawley
Hi Michael,
It's been a while since we've corresponded. On Thomas Hawley's death record is stated that Michael Hawley was born in Newcastle and Kate in Grange. That doesn't mean that Newcastle is correct, just is another piece of information. Some of the family settled in Winnebago county while others were in Outagamie and Brown Counties. One son, Michael eventually settled in Iowa.

Posted: 22 Jan 2005 6:19PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2005 3:31AM GMT
Surnames: Hawley, Hally, Haly
Thanks Sandy.

I found on a CD for families in Wuapaca and Outagamie Counties that Michael Hawley of Union city Iowa married Anne Devine. I believe the marriage took place in Neenah, Wisconsin. Michael's father was Timothy Hawley. My guess is that he is Michael Hawley's grandson, and ggrandson of Michael and Kate Hawley. My mother's father's sister Frances Clark of Bear Creek, Wisconsin married Martin Devine who is a nephew or grandnephew of Ann. This is a connection on my mother's side of the family in addition to the Scanlan and Powers ancestors on my father's side of the family. I believe it was Rev. Lambert Scanlan who first came up with the Cork origin of the Hawleys.

BTW, Rev. Scanlan is apparently descended from Hawleys on both sides of his family; from Ellen on the father's side (Scanlan/Powers), and from Nora on the mother's side (Bradley/Murphy). This being the case, my earlier speculation that the Bradley's of Cooperstown were Protestant is probably wrong. There is an Irish family which took the name Bradley in Cork. Lambert was probably all Irish. He sure was active in Irish organizations.

sjhawley (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2005 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: Hally, Halley, Howley, Hawley also English, Keily, Foley
Hi Michael,
Is the Ballyhally (Ballyhooly) the same as Ballahoolagh townland?
Hope things are going well for you.
Sandy

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 3:51PM GMT
Michael-- Michael H Hawley (1856 or 1859-1940) was born in Neenah (per marriage record, but can't find Michael's birth record; I do have the actual birth records for a few of Michael's siblings who were born in Little Chute, Outagamie, WI).

Michael married Annie Ellsworth Devine in 1883 in Lebanon, Waupaca, WI (familysearch.org)-- NOT Neenah, WI as you say.

They moved to Minneapolis, MN by at least 1895 (city directories).

According to Timothy's obit and death certificate (Michael's father), Timothy was born in County Clare, IRE, but that is yet to be confirmed.

If we follow Irish naming traditions, the first born is named after the father's father. In that case, Timothy's first born, John, may have been named after Timothy's father, so that would make Timothy's father's name John (NOT Michael). Again, that is supposition.

I guess, I am just saying that your thoughts are just suppositions, until we get further data to support one way or another. Thank you.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 6:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hally, Hawley, Earley
Where did I ever say that Timothy Hawley of County Clare was a son of Michael Hawley (Hally) Sr born circa 1798 and Catherine E. English born circa 1800 of County Tipperary? We discussed this years ago and came to the conclusion that they were of two separate families. We are related as cousins by the marriage of Timothy's son Michael H. Hawley to Annie Ellsworth Devine. Thank you for clearing up the fact that Timothy Hawley's real name was Timothy Earley. All information was from Mickie Parr's CD "A Bit of Green in Lebanon" about families in Lebanon, Waupaca County. Wisconsin. She lives in La Valle, Wisconsin. Her website is at mickieparr.com .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions