Search for content in message boards

Printing book from FTM

Printing book from FTM

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 5:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
When I try to print my book in FTM (2012), a line is shown 1.35" from the bottom of the page and anything closer than about 1.75" to the bottom is kicked to the next page. Does anyone know how to move the bottom line down or get rid of it altogether. I have talked to the help desk several times and found no solution.

Since I wrote the book using a bottom margin setting of 0.75", about 3 or 4 lines per page are kicked to the next page. I also alternated with on the pictures and documents on the left side and the corresponding narrative on the right side(double-sided printing). Therefore the left side documents and the right side soon get out of sequence.

Thanks

Re: Printing book from FTM

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 6:07PM GMT
I would suggest double-checking that the settings from your printer interface are not in conflict with the settings you created in FTM.

Did you possibly put in a setting for a footer? That will sometimes create a divider line, as well as needing space for the footer text.

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 10:40AM GMT
Thanks. I've tried to check everything I can find to check. I've tried it with a footer and without a footer, no difference. I'm getting so furustrated that I copied some of it to Mircosoft Word and that gets rid of the problem. I may just use MS.

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 12:12PM GMT
I do my books entirely in Word, because I don't care for the limitations in the FTM book.

Good luck!

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 10:12PM GMT
The printer parameters will always rule regardless of what you set in FTM. The bottom line is that some times FTM talks to the Printer driver, but it is not always the case.

Go into the printer driver and set the parameter you expect. Remember also that some printers have basic unchangeable default settings for margins and headers and footers. What they are depends of the printer itself. Depending on the drive mechanism, the headers and footers must be greater that other printers with or means of feeding the paper.

Remember just because you make the changes in one driver it will not affect the parameters for the driver of a different printer.

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 10:12PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2013 10:13PM GMT
The printer parameters will always rule regardless of what you set in FTM. The bottom line is that some times FTM talks to the Printer driver, but it is not always the case.

Go into the printer driver and set the parameter you expect. Remember also that some printers have basic unchangeable default settings for margins and headers and footers. What they are depends of the printer itself. Depending on the drive mechanism, the headers and footers must be greater than other printers with other means of feeding the paper.

Remember just because you make the changes in one driver it will not affect the parameters for the driver of a different printer.

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 12:54AM GMT
Thanks to all for the help. I have copied everything to MS Word and continued writing. I agree with BurgessDonnelly that MS Word is a lot more flexible, I especially like the capability to embed pictures withing the writing.

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 1:00AM GMT
Hi lescar91 -

Good luck with the rest of the book. I'm finishing my 3rd specialized book, as a birthday present for my paternal 1st cousin.

Happy to share ideas off-board, if you like.

BD

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 9:04PM GMT
i'm interested in the rest of the process....where do you take your 'ready to print' book for printing, i.e. are you doing hard cover books or pages in a binder etc?
hanks!

Posted: 18 Jul 2013 9:13PM GMT
Since I make individual books - just finishing the 3rd, for my paternal first cousin - I print at home. I have a very good color laser printer, use heavy presentation quality paper, archival acid-free sheet protectors, etc.

The boards prohibit "advertising," so if you want specifics of what brands etc., please contact me off-board.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions