Search for content in message boards

What is launcher.exe?

What is launcher.exe?

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 11:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
In the ftm2012 folder there are two applications ftm.exe and launcher.exe which when run seem to do the same job of starting ftm2012. The name and file sizes suggest that launcher performs some sort of startup task before running ftm.exe. Does any body know what launcher does? Should a desktop shortcut to ftm2012 run launcher.exe or ftm.exe? Does it matter which is used to start ftm2012?

Re: What is launcher.exe?

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 9:04AM GMT
On my system FTM2012.exe is 770kbytes and launcher.exe is 17kbytes.

However, I didn't use the normal installation method as that forces registration via Avanquest.

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 12:48PM GMT
The sizes agree with the files on my system and mine is installed normally and registered so I don't think these files are to do with registering with Avanquest

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 2:59PM GMT
When FTM is installed from the DVD Launcher.exe (635kbytes) runs first and registers with Avanquest.

I've just monitored the 17kbytes launcher.exe and it seems to simply check a lot of things and then starts FTM.exe which then proceeds to check the same things.

I installed FTM2012 using the DVD setup.exe program not launcher.exe, avoiding the needless requirement to register with AvanQuest.

Posted: 13 Jul 2013 3:17PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2013 3:17PM GMT
I have opened FTM for years from the Start Menu - in the list of most used programs - with no problems. Right-clicking on that shows it is booting ftm.exe.

Why not just start FTM from the Start button programs list?

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 8:50AM GMT
@silverfox
I am using Windows 8. FTM2012 on my machine crashes fairly regularly and I have been trying to find some way to fix it. I thought that launcher might do some housekeeping before launching ftm but clearly not.

For the record I have not had any crashes in the last couple of days since reading in a post, sorry cannot remember which, that FTM made use of MSIE. Since then I have searched the posts and noted that MSIE as default browser is mentioned several times. So I switched my default browser to MSIE and at least two problems that I had managed to reproduce disappeared. Of course this is not a long enough time to be sure that all crashes have stopped.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 3:17PM GMT
David

FTM2012 has its own cut down version of IE hard coded into the program.

I use Firefox to do a lot of searching because going backward and forward through web pages is easier. If I find a useful page I copy the URL back to FTM for merging.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 4:09PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jul 2013 4:09PM GMT
David,

I do the same as alanmon.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 8:59PM GMT
tulrose

don't know if you've noticed but in Firefox, if you let the mouse cursor rest on the link to the found data eg "1911 Census Data", it sometimes gives a preview of the information.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 9:11PM GMT
alanmon,

Yes, I've used that. Quite handy on occasion.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions