Search for content in message boards

Translate atypical baptism record

Translate atypical baptism record

Posted: 4 Jul 2014 8:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vang, Pedersdatter, Norman
The attached baptism records - original and copy - for Inger Margrethe Dorthea Hansdatter Vang have peculiarities which I am unable to read or interpret. In the left margin is a word which might read as "proclamerch" which I find in no norwegian dictionary. There follows the usual names of "the parents: Hans Vang and Anniken Pedersdatter of Outer Elsnaes, their 2nd child", but before the child's name occurs a phrase incorporating the name "Nicolai Norman" (The farm VIP, Storting representative, and Titan of Trade). Can anyone translate/explain this insertion. I have not encountered it before. After the child's name is the usual listing of sponsers/godparents, but I need help in reading it.
Thanks for any help. Sorry, I don't know how to attach hot links to the arkivett.no records, but they are in the Trondenes in Trondenes (Troms) records for 1816 page 156 (original) and p. 248 (copy).
Attachments:

Re: Translate atypical baptism record

Posted: 5 Jul 2014 7:20PM GMT
Hi

The words before Nicolai Norman are: hjemmedøbt av (baptized at home by).

Vivi

Posted: 5 Jul 2014 8:12PM GMT
Lower on the same page as the baptism you are looking at in the Ministerialbok - you will find a second "proclamerch" - but I question the last few letters of that word. The handwriting is difficult but my Norwegian-English dictionary would lead me to believe that it means proclamation or similar.

Posted: 7 Jul 2014 5:37PM GMT
Thanks to you both. I guess I get the picture of baptism at home. I knew it was allowed in cases of sickly infants at risk of not reaching the church in time. The other "proclamerch" on the page also has the home baptism phrase before the child's name. I'm just surprised I never noted it before, or saw an explanation in the guides for reading kirkeboekke. Possibly the marginal note is a "proclamation" of the previous baptism, and no repeat of the ceremony took place in the church. The word could be derived from the Latin "proclamo".
The good news is that little Inger did live to adulthood.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic