Search for content in message boards

EASTERN OKLAHOMA STATE HOSPITAL, VINITA OKLAHOMA

EASTERN OKLAHOMA STATE HOSPITAL, VINITA OKLAHOMA

Posted: 3 Sep 2009 6:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ANNIE SMITH/ ( MAYBE) HOLDEN
I AM LOOKING FOR MY GRANDMOTHERS TWIN SISTER. Who was put into this Asylum by her husband (so I heard). Her name was ANNIE SMITH, OR ROSE ANNA SMITH AND I AM NOT SURE OF HER MARRIED NAME. I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW SHE EXISTED UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO, JUST BEFORE MY GRANDMOTHER PASSED AWAY. MY GRANDMA'S NAME WAS ROSE ELLA SMITH/YARBROUGH. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIND OUT IF SHE DIED THERE OR IN TULSA AT A NURSING HOME. HOW CAN I FIND THIS KIND OF LISTING.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE.
sandrapoor_1

Re: EASTERN OKLAHOMA STATE HOSPITAL, VINITA OKLAHOMA

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 3:15AM GMT
It is being downsized and turned into a criminal facility so you need to write as soon as possible as we have no idea what will happen to the mental patient records.

Address is
Eastern State Hospital
Attn. Mental Records Dept.
P.O. Box 90
Vinita, OK 74301

Be sure to state your relationship to whoever you ask about and remember they don't give medical info without a doctor's request.

They should be able to help. I recently got my Ggrandmothers information, there is process you have to go thought but it was worth it. Hope this helps.

Posted: 10 Sep 2009 3:40AM GMT
I hope the address is correct. I will check. However the name is now Oklahoma Forensic Center and it is for the criminally insane who are sent for evaluation or committed as not guilty by reason of insanity. The mental hospital no longer exists. I personally live in Vinita. I would suggest you check with the state of Oklahoma Department of Mental Health. You can find out how to contact that department through the State of Oklahoma website.

Posted: 11 Sep 2009 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: annie smith/holden
Thank you guys sooooooo much. I mean it, wow it's been really hard finding out about my grandma's twin. I just know this is the break I have been waiting for. Thanks again..... =-)
Sandi Poor

Posted: 11 Sep 2009 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: annie smith/holden
Thanks... I'm on it now... You guys are a great help...
Thanks again
sandi

Posted: 3 Nov 2009 1:35AM GMT
What was your grandmother's birthdate? What county did they live in? Maybe we can nose around and find something.

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 4:01AM GMT
Hi. I acutally planed on calling the hospital tomorrow to find out how to get information on my ggGrandfather who died there sometime in the early 30's until I saw this board. I think he may even have been buried in the cemetery there.
I was just wondering if you were able to get the information that you needed, and how you ended up going about it.

Posted: 13 Apr 2010 7:53PM GMT
Surnames: eastern state hospital
Hi...I'd like to know how to make the Eastern State Hospital a Historical site. The plans are to tear down the buildings...they are magnificant...WOULD MAKE AN AWESOME MUSEUM... or etc...what a waste!!! Seems like a lot of Oklahoma history will be demolished! They had a library...hospital and etc...I wish everyone that could would at least look at them ...then give your opinion. You can only see from the road...but it is like a small town. Wichita, Ks. made Cowtown...for historical info...it has a lot of value...THIS could be even BIGGER !!!

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 1:32AM GMT
Love the idea of turning buildings into a museum. Who do we talk to?

Got another question - If someone was a patient at the mental hospital & they died. If the body wasn't claimed by the family, where would it have been buried? Was there a cemetery on the grounds?

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 3:25AM GMT
Eastern State Hospital Cemetery 1 mile east of hospital estimated 1500 burials; most unmarked; earliest burial about 1919. Burials started in southwest corner to northwest corner, then back south again. Buried in order the died, or several may have been burial at one time.
http://www.okgenweb.org/~okcraig/cemetery/cem_update.htm
Hope this helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic