Search for content in message boards

Daniel Raymond Breen, From Akron, Ohio

Daniel Raymond Breen, From Akron, Ohio

Posted: 10 Aug 2010 9:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGowan
Hi All,

New to Boards and Ancestry. I'm trying to learn about my grandfather Daniel Raymond Breen, 1889-1966. His parents were John Breen and Ellen McGowan of Ireland (I believe near Galway). His siblings were Elizabeth, Margaret, Stephen (1890-1971), Mary (B.1893) and Susan (B.1900). Daniel also was married prior to meeting my grandmother. He was married in Akron to a Mary and had two children- Marjorie (b. 1917/1918) and Daniel R Breen (B. 1920). My grandfather remarried Elizabeth Byers (not sure date) and they had two children Jerry Breen, (1931-1975) and Sally Breen (my mom) (1933-). They then moved to San Francisco around 1942/1943. I'm looking for any info on my grandfather, his parents-John Breen and Ellen McGowan AND any info on extended Breen family members from Daniel R Breen's siblings. I know so very little.

Thanks
Kerry

Re: Daniel Raymond Breen, From Akron, Ohio

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 2:17AM GMT
Surnames: Breen, O'Neil, Iacomini, Laaehr, Brennan, Beck, Neid, McGowan, Agar, Sharpe, McBride
I don't know how much of this is new information for you and keep in mind that it may not be complete, but here we go: As far as Daniel's siblings go, Stephen Charles married Agnes McCormick and had three children: Agnes, married Leo Iacomini; James C, married Hilda Laehr; and Charles. Margaret married Bartholomew Brennan and had one child, Patricia. I think Mary died young. Elizabeth married Leo T. Beck and had 7 children. Agnes died unmarried of TB in 1920. I don't know any additional information about Daniel and his first wife's children but I believe the first wife's last name was Neid.

John J. Breen and Ellen McGowan were of Irish heritage but John was born in Ohio and Ellen in New Jersey. John's parents, who I also descend from, were Patrick Breen and Mary Ann O'Neil. Patrick was born in about 1835 (his gravestone says 1840) in Ireland. His father, whose name was also Patrick, died when the son was six years old and soon after, the mother and children came to America, settling in Xenia, Ohio. Patrick had a sibling named James, of which I know very litte, and may have also had one named David, who married a Catherine Agar and moved to Edgar/Vermillion County, Illinois. Patrick went to Akron to work in the Austin Powder Mill. Patrick married Mary Ann O'Neil in 1857 and had three children: James Patrick, from whom I descend; Lydia (who married Harvey Sharpe); and John J.

Patrick died in 1865 in an explosion at the mill. Mary Ann married James Glennen and died in about 1872. By the way, Mary Ann's father was John O'Neil and her mother was Mary Ann McBride.

In your note you mentoin that John and Ellen may have been from Galway. I wish I knew for certain where his parents came from but sources have pointed to either Kerry or Clare but nothing is definitive. If you've got anything pointing to Galway, I'd be interested to find out what it is.

Hope this helps!

Paul

Re: Daniel Raymond Breen, From Akron, Ohio

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 5:23PM GMT
Hi - Dan was my grandmother Elizabeth's brother. Their youngest sister was Agnes, not Susan. Ellen was born in Akron. Her parents were Mary Murphy and Charles McGowan who were actually from County Kerry Ireland. Mary and Charles left Ireland, settled in Cranbury, N.J. Then Akron, Ohio. McGowan Street in Akron was named for Charles McGowan. Elizabeth married Leo T. Beck and had seven children : Betty, Leo J., Mary, James, Larry, Patricia Anne ( my mother) and Richard. Betty (in Mentor, Ohio) Mary (in Boise, Idaho) and Larry (Akron) are the only survivors from that generation.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions