Search for content in message boards

Indian Raid in 1735 Virginia Foothills on the RHODES family

Indian Raid in 1735 Virginia Foothills on the RHODES family

Posted: 29 Oct 2001 3:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Feb 2004 1:41AM GMT
Surnames: Rhodes, Roads, Rhoades
I am looking for information on my Rhodes Ancestor. (His first name is unknown). He was tomahawked and scalped in his doorway about 1735 during an Indian uprising. His wife and daughter were carried into captivity with other women and children. His sons, Christopher and John hid in the bushes and escaped to a fort. The women were killed because they couldn't keep up with the Indians flight across the mountains, but a chief took a fancy to the daughter and adopted her. Her name may have been Mary. After peace was made, she was returned to her friends. I am a descendant of Christopher Rhodes. He receive a land grant south of the James River in 1768 in Botetourt Co now Rockbridge Co. Virginia. Any information on this family would be appreciated.

Re: Indian Raid in 1735 Virginia Foothills on the RHODES family

Posted: 4 Dec 2001 8:24AM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2004 1:32PM GMT
Where did you read about this? Perhaps that will help others help you.
Doris

Posted: 5 Dec 2001 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: Rhodes
The story was written for the Jackson Herald, Ripley, WV in 1912. Abraham Litton, great-grandson of Christopher Rhodes told this story to John House. The story can be read on the web at http://www.rootsweb.com/~deschart/abraham.html
Christopher Rhodes was my gggg-grandfather.
JoAnn

Tim Tackitt (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2001 4:22PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2004 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: TACKITT, TACKET
I remember stories told by my mother that there was a history book in the Indiana schools in the 30's that had a picture of Christopher (Tackitt or Tacket) tied to a tree as the Indians overran Fort Tacket in Virginia about that time.

Re: Rhodes Massacre 1764 Virginia

Mary Turney Miller (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2002 10:19PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2004 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: Roads, Rhodes, Kaufman, Goehenour, Strickler
This may not be your family, since the date is different from what you have, but thought you might be interested.

Source:
THE WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA HISTORICAL MAGAZINE
Volume 39 Fall, 1956 Number 3
(got my copy from the Historical Society of West. PA in Pittsburgh, PA)
article title: Indian Captives Released by Colonel Bouquet
List B
Inclosed in Bouquet to Gage, November 30, 1764, Gage Papers, Clements Library, University of Michigan
Return of Necessaries delivered to the Captives of the Northern District of Virginia Fort Pitt Nov 30th 1764
Danl Rhoads
Michael Rhoads 1 shirt, 1 blanket

now here is the story as told in:
A HISTORY OF SHENANDOAH COUNTY VIRIGNIA
by Dr. John W. Wayland
ISBN 0-8063-8011-X

(there are photos you might want to see....)
pg 69-71
(I am going to condense it a bit)
In August of 1764 eight Indians and a white man came into the Valley, crossed the upper end of Powell's Fort, and descended upon the home of John Roads, a Mennonite preacher and one of the Massanutten pioneers. The Roads homestead lies in a crescent bend of the South Shenandoah, on the west side of the stream, about five miles northwest of Luray, and directly south of Kennedy's Peak. Bixler's Ferry on the river is near by.
Rev. Mr. Roads and his wife, who was Eve Albright, had a large family of children, some of whom fortunately were not at home when the savages came. Mr. Roads, his wife, and a son were killed at or near the house. Two of the boys were in the cornfield below the house, alongside the river. One of them climbed a pear tree about 150 yards from the house, was discovered and shot in the tree. The other attempted to escape by crossing the river, but was pursued and killed in the stream. To this day that place in the river is called the "Bloody Ford". In the meantime Elizabeth, one of the older daughters, caught up Esther, the baby, in her arms and ran with her first into the barn, thence into a field of tall hemp below the barn, and so on to the river, excaping the vigilance of the Indians. Carrying the child across the river she finally reached the house of a neighbor, Esther grew up and married Dr. Jacob Kaufman. Elizabeth...married Jacob Goehenour. Two boys and two little girls were taken captive and led away northward into the Massnutten Mountain. There one of the boys and both of the girls were killed. The other boy, Michael, after about three years with the Indians, was allowed to return home. He married Ann Strickler, a daughter of Benjamin Strickler. In all, six of the Roads children were killed; seven survived.
Kercheval gives the year of the Roads massacre as 1766, but the tradition in the family has preserved the year as 1764.
(and it goes on to talk about the descendants of the Rhoads/Roads family in 1924 having a reunion, etc. and a memorial was erected at that time to the ones killed in the family).

Thought this might be of interest to you. Since two of the Rhodes boys were released in Nov of 1764, it would seem this all happened earlier than the family claims, or else the boys did not stay 3 years with the Indians.

Mary Turney Miller hlm@qtm.net

Posted: 31 Mar 2002 2:19AM GMT
Surnames: Roads, Rhodes
Thanks Mary, for the information on Rev. John Roads. I have seen this story many times before but have not been able to connect it to my Rhodes family. Of the two boys that escaped the raid in 1735, I am a descendant of Christopher Rhodes. I have nothing on his brother John or the sister that was later released. Her name may have been Mary. At the reunion you spoke of does it give any info on the descendants? Thanks again, JoAnn

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2002 12:15PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2004 1:36PM GMT
Surnames: Rhodes, Kaufman, Strickler, Gochenour, Heistand, Shank, Stauffer, Graybill
page 71
On August 31, 1924, five hundred people, from many parts of Virginia, a number of them descendants of the Roads children who survived the massacre of 1764, assembled at "Hope Farm", the scene of the tragedy, and unveiled a monument to the memory of the victims. Mr. P. S. Rhodes, of Woodstock, read a brief history of the Roads (Rhoades) family. Miss Sarah Kauffman read an appropriate essay. Addresses were made by Bishop L. J. Heatwole, Mr. D. L. Kauffman, Mr. H.M. Strickler, and others. The monument of native blue limestone, is the cunning handiwork of Mr. P. M. Kauffman, an aged descendant of one of John Road's daughters. A bountiful dinner was prepared for all visitors from a distance by Mrs. Bauserman, the widow of the late George R. Bauserman, and a daughter of Reuben Ruffner, deceased.

(for additional particulars of the Roads massacre, "Hope Farm", the family history, and the unveiling of the memorial on August 31, 1924, the reader is referred to Kercheval's History of the Valley, 3rd edition, pages 101-103: H. M. Strickler's "Massanutten", pages 81-90; and the Page News and Courier, Luray, Va., date of September 2, 1924.)

page 69
Elizabeth married Jacob Gochenour
Esther married Dr. Jacob Kaufman
Michael - one of the captives - married Ann Strickler, daughter of Benjamin Strickler

page 208
Among early mennonite preachers of Shenandoah County were Michael Kaufman (1714-1788); John Rhodes, killed by Indians in 1764 or 1766; Jacob Strickler, of "Egypt"; Abraham Heistand, minister in Thornton's Gap after the Reveolution; Henry Shank, and Revs. Stauffer and Graybill, who preached on the North Fork (Shenandoah) as early as 1754.

Mary

Posted: 13 Oct 2005 9:23PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2005 1:43AM GMT
Surnames: RHODES
hello my name is bertie rue [rhodes] short . michael rhodes was my fourth greatgrand father . michaels son abraham was my third greatgrandfather the first levi was his son . he is my great grandfather . his son was my granddfather he had ten children . the youngest houston rhodes was my father . thank you please reply bertie

Posted: 20 May 2011 11:18AM GMT
I am a descendent of Elizabeth Rhodes and Jacob Gochenour. I live in Virginia, recently visited Shenandoah county to see another descendent. I would love to share info with you!

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 11:35PM GMT
I am a descendant of George Christopher Rhodes. We lived in Jackson and Roane Counties of WV.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions