Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 .exe file marked as a Trojan?

FTM 2012 .exe file marked as a Trojan?

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 9:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
THis afternoon my file crashed on me (which is not uncommon sadly due to the memory issues of FTM). No big deal, right? I go to open it again only the icon says that it points to a file that does not exist. Thinking it still odd, I go to my family file and try to open it directly, only it wants to use FTM2011 since there is no FTM2012. What? And then I get a report that McAfee has identified the .exe file for FTM2011 as a trojan. I go and look at the logs, and see that it has an "unnamed" file marked as a trojan at the time that my FTM file crashed.

Now what?

I need to go prepare dinner -- I'll wait and see what the gurus here (as well as my husband when he gets home from work) thinks about this development. I know that sometimes McAfee quarantines things when they don't need to be -- but I do find this odd.

Elizabeth

Re: FTM 2012 .exe file marked as a Trojan?

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 11:47PM GMT
I would talk to McAfee or use a different virus checker.

John D

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 1:38AM GMT
Have you tried to run a virus scan on FTM exe files.

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 4:39PM GMT
My Mcafee randomly identified an odd "Artemis" Trojan yesterday as well. I think Mcafee is experiencing some burps as opposed to our systems actually being infected. But I could be wrong.

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 4:50PM GMT
I seem to remember that this has happened before!

Posted: 2 Aug 2013 12:20AM GMT
Yes, I discovered that searching old posts.

Since the program has to be somewhat "open" to allow data to flow in and out to Ancestry it seems it has things that McAfee (and other software) considers to be Trojan-like.

I took it out of quarantine and everything is fine.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic