Search for content in message boards

Wood/McQueen connection? Southwold

Wood/McQueen connection? Southwold

Maridel Crawford-Brown (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WOOD, McQUEEN, FOWLER
I am looking for any information on the half-sister of Amasa WOOD, merchant of Southwold /Fingal area. She was said to be the wife of Colonel McQueen of Southwold. This is the only clue I have to Amasa's parents, other than a very dead end that suggests his father was a Joseph WOOD from the USA somewhere, to Canada circa 1800.
Amasa WOOD married the sister to Levi Folwer who kept a store in Southwold circa 1832 and was the postmaster of Fingal.
Amasa is said to be a brother to my Solomon WOOD (wife Anna Lakins) over in Augusta Twp, Grenville County, ON.
ANY information on the parents of Amasa, or this WOOD family MUCH appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Maridel

Wood Family

Myron F. Foster (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Gallano, Gallarno, Galarneau, Foster, Austin
I noticed in your query, a reference to a Joseph Wood. I have a Joseph Wood who who was born c1803, died Sept. 22, 1880, in DeKalb County, Illinois. He was married in (we believe) Kent County, Ontario, to Elizabeth Gallano (or Gallarno or Galarneau) who was born c1812, died April 11, 1878 in DeKalb County, Illinois. We think Joseph was from the USA and Elizabeth was from Canada, but can not find anything for certain on either of these families. Does any of this fit with the Joseph Wood or other Wood relatives in your research?

Re: Wood Family

Sarah Christine Wood (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2001 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Immer, Cogswell, Haldeman, Foster, Emerson, Perkins, Starkweather
I have several Joseph Wood's in my family, but I also have Foster's. Are you by chance related to Emil or Ethel (Cogswell) Immer? They had Christine (who married WIlliam Thomas Foster III in 1926) and Jean (who married Russel Dearing Wood of Taft Ca, son of Alpheus Arthur Wood and Nancy Christiany (Eastman) Wood)

Re: Wood/McQueen connection? Southwold

Pauline (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2002 4:04AM GMT
I have some Wood's from the Southwold Twp. Elgin County census transcriptions. Fingal, ON is located in Elgin, and between Fingal and St. Thomas is the Amasa Wood house (mansion)

1851 census
WOOD, Amasa age 39 farmer [not on the 1861 census for Stwld.
WOOD, Elizabeth age 34
WOOD, Elthem age 13
WOOD, Martha age 10

1861 Census
WOOD, Philo age 64
WOOD, Elizabeth age 58
WOOD, Vashti age 36
WOOD, William age 21 medical student
WOOD, Ann Jane age 19
WOOD, Harriet age 17
WOOD, Amasa age 14

1871 Census
WOOD, Amasa age 57 speculator

Myron Foster (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2002 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Austin, Foster, Rowan, Robb, and Gallano
No, my Fosters came from Cape May, New Jersey through Hampshire Co., West Virginia to Adams Co., Ohio. Later some of the family came through Fountain Co. and Warren Co., Indiana to DeKalb Co., Illinois.

Rita Ramsey (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2003 2:40PM GMT
Surnames: wood
I have a joseph wood in my family tree.he also has three brother their names are robert, john ,glenn wood their mom and dad name is Myron wood and georgia wood

Posted: 19 Mar 2004 10:22PM GMT
I am related to Emil and Ethel Cogswell Immer. My grandparents were Christine and William Foster. My grandmother was Christine Foster, she is Emil and Ethel's daughter. Her younger sister was Jean Wood who was born in 1908, her other sister was Margaret. Jean Wood had children Robert Emil Wood, Margaret Elaine Wood, and Walter Eastman Wood. Therefore Jean Wood was my great aunt. I have most of the geneology of the Cogswell- Immer family. I wold love to know more about the history if you know anything. Thank you Susan Foster McClure

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 1:36AM GMT
Hi Susan,
This is your cousin from CA. Your father Don is my Uncle. Just getting started in genealogy so you probably know more than I. I am a proud owner of Cogswell-Haldeman book. I would like to know more about Grandfather William T. Fosters line. Would be nice to hear from you.
Mark

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 11:18AM GMT
Hi Mark,

I remember you very well from the times we spent together as kids. I know it has been a long time since I have heard from any of you. Audrey used to keep me poosted on how everyone was until she died. I talked to Skip maybe about 8 years ago but that has been my only contact with your side of the family since I was a kid. My brother has a lot of the Foster ancestry and I will get it from him. We both live in Ft. Pierce, FL. Right now I am vacationing in Ireland but when I get home I will contact Dave and see what I can get. I have 2 children ages 20 and 19...and you? My brother has one daughter. We are all doing fine, You can write me anytime at my regular e-mail address which is vet1susan@aol.com, Dave's e-mail is dfoster163@aol.com. Will get in touch with you when I get back home

Love
Susan

Re: Wood/McQueen connection? Southwold

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 8:10PM GMT
There appears to be someone researching Amasa Wood. Try familysearch.org and use the name in Ontario, Canada. Perhaps you can then find his sister.
Hope this is your person.

George
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions