Search for content in message boards

PDF reports

PDF reports

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 7:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have some PDF person reports sent to me from another FTM user, is there a way to import the data in those reports without having to enter everything manually?

Re: PDF reports

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 8:00AM GMT
If you mean putting the date in fields as live text, the best you can do is to copy and paste from the PDF.

You can of course also put the PDF file into the media center but I don't think that is what you want?

But why don't you ask the other FTM user to send the information to you as an FTM or GEDCOM file, then you can, with the usual precautions, merge it directly

John D

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 2:20PM GMT
The normal way of importing data into databases is in a format they recognize; which is often just a raw spreadsheet format, called .csv.

Unfortunately, FTM does not provide for importing csv data. That would certainly be a nice capability if it did.

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 2:21PM GMT
You need to import each person individually so you can check the quality of the information for each person, otherwise you will end up with a garbage tree like many that are online today.

It is not hard to do a couple of checks in the many online database to verify each person or family. When you check a person consider the physical limitations, like travel, condition of the person and family. (a family of limited means is not making round trips to Europe every two years in 1800.)

There is another test that many owners of online trees fail to perform. Is the person of consideration where he is suppose to be location wise and chronologically. If the family lived in Reading all of their lives They don't suddenly appear in California for a brief period in 1850. A person can not be in two places at the same time, and a person can not die in 1850 and be in the census in 1860. or living in New York and Pennsylvania at the same time in 1820.

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 9:35PM GMT
How about if your great great grandmother died In Brooklyn in 1870 and someone has claimed her as their great great grandmother in Scotland living a long life with a different husband.

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 2:31AM GMT
Is it any worse that having your great grandfather married to his cousins wife. Or a woman given birth every two years in New York in the early 1800's and living in England. I must have missed the part about jet travel in the War of 1812 and before. Or maybe those square sailed cruise ships were fast than I think.

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 2:55AM GMT
Secret warp speed.

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 9:39PM GMT
This is your best bet for not further corrupting the data through transcription errors: Get a copy of the FTM version of the file (or GEDCOM), load the program into FTM as a new file and check the file for errors, etc. Then merge the data once it is "cleaned up" to your main file. Make sure you check sources before merging to remove unlinked sources...

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions