Search for content in message boards

Walter Horan Edith Kilmer owners of Cozy Inn

Walter Horan Edith Kilmer owners of Cozy Inn

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 3:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Horan, Kilmer
Looking on info for either person. My wife is Lois Taylor Daughter of Edith (Horan) Ingersoll Barton. Working on a family tree.

Thanks

Don Taylor

Re: Walter Horan Edith Kilmer owners of Cozy Inn

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 12:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Horan; Killmer
The Cozy Inn was located on Rt. 9, 9 miles north of Poughkeepsie, and just south of the entrance to Norrie State Park, in Staatsburg (Dutchess Co., NY) The 1930 census shows as folllows: Walter, born 1891; Edith, born 1894; Edith May, born 1920; living in the Town of Hyde Park.

There are many newspaper references to Walter & Edith at www.fultonhistory.com - type in Walter Horan as search term, using "exact phrase" as the option. (Also use Edith Horan, and Cozy Inn as search term, exact phrase for even more results!)

Apparently, the both were very active in the American Legion, and Walter served as Commander at the VFW Montgomery Post, here in Rhinebeck, where I live. There are many stories regarding their posts held, meetings attended, etc. It even mentions Walter being a spotter for planes during the war!

In 1936 Walter was mentioned in a probate notice for his mother, Doretta Horan.

In a 1961 article, Walter & Edith were "up from St. Petersburg, FL," visiting Edith parents, M/M James Killmer, Sr.; article also lists other family members present at a get together. (Sounds like they retired to St. Pete - that ould be a good place to start looking for obituaries)

I hope this info peaks your interest, and helps you learn about your wife's family!

Please feel free to contact me at cpmalm@hotmail.com if I can be of further help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions