Search for content in message boards

Share icon

Share icon

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 3:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've tried to share a descendant chart from the Publish section. When I click on the Share icon nothing happens. No drop down menu appears. Nothing happens. At the request of Ancestry I've re-installed my FTM 2012 and compressed the the file. Still no functionality. Any other ideas.

Re: Share icon

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 4:15PM GMT
Does the share icon react at all when you click it? On my set-up, the button turns orange and gives me a drop-down box of 6 options. Screen clip attached.

Do other buttons in FTM perform as expected?

I have a dual-monitor set-up. If my FTM window is maximized, the drop-down menu actually displays on the 2nd monitor. Any chance that is your case?

I'm sure other members will have additional ideas.

Good luck!
Attachments:

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 4:50PM GMT
This doesn't fix your problem with the "share" icon [which works fine for me] but you can use PRINT and then if you have the right software you can choose "print to pdf" which then enables you to share the resulting pdf file...
in the meantime until you figure out what's going on with "share"..

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 2:49AM GMT
Can you test it by using another file

Create a small test file , make a report or chart then try and Share it

What happens?

John D

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 3:13AM GMT
Thanks for responding. I don't get the drop down menu at all which is part of the problem. Other buttons seem to work fine like the print button. I'm only using one monitor.

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 3:15AM GMT
Your suggestion is a good work around. I'll give that a try.

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 3:19AM GMT
I tried that also. I created a small tree and still the Share button does not function.

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 4:51AM GMT
I'm using one monitor, but I just tried running FTM in a non-maximized window. Interestingly the Share button works and the drop-down menu appears. It does not work when the screen is maximized.

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 4:11PM GMT
What is the zoom on your screen. If you zoom out too far you will start loosing the edges of the screen you are looking at.

If you are using windows try Ctrl and the mouse wheel. Pressing Ctrl, you should be able to zoom out and in depending on the direction you move the wheel.

OR

Use Ctrl - this will shrink the image that is on screen. (To zoom Ctrl +)

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 1:12AM GMT
CTRL+ or CTRL- are more browser related, not so much relevant to FTM.

A few thoughts -

are you working on a computer (perhaps a laptop) that has AT SOME TIME IN THE PAST been connected to an external monitor. The setup perhaps is still set up to "think" there is a 2nd monitor.

Have you possibly adjusted your display settings on the control panel, to something other than 100%? At one time, I had done so and could not see the "options" on the FTM dashboard (righthand panel). I switched to wearing my reading glasses, instead of making the display changes on my computer.

Good luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic