Search for content in message boards

FTM2012 Compact File

FTM2012 Compact File

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 3:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
After completing the "Compact File" operation without error, a pop-up window indicates completion and shows the file reduction %. However, after closing that pop-up window a 2nd pop-up widow appears stating "Family Tree Maker has stopped working", giving the option to either check online and close or simply to close. After it is closed and I then reopen FTM2012, it gives a pop-up stating that it was not closed properly the last time and I may need to compact my file to resolve any issues. But when I do this, I problem I described above repeats. However, if I simply ignore this "Compact File" pop-up request, FTM2012 seems to open my file and operate successfully. I have experienced the above problem for some time now and although FTM2012 has no apparent problem if it is opened at times other than after the "Compact File" operation, I am concerned as to whether there may be some problem with my family tree file.

Re: FTM2012 Compact File

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 6:16AM GMT
You can safely ignore the message but make sure that you have a good backup of your file using File>Backup and saving this safely other than your main (C:) drive.

Never rely on the so called backup that FTM makes as it makes it to the same working drive. Lose this drive and you have lost everything.

John D

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 2:53PM GMT
Thank you John, for your response to my query.
I'm really glad to know the message that I consistently get saying "Family Tree Maker 2012 has stopped working" after I run a "Compact File" operation doesn't mean there is a problem in my data file.
Do you know if the FTM2012 abort that I always get after running a compact file operation is a known Family Tree Maker bug, or should it be reported?

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 12:24AM GMT
It is a common and known error message

The key thing is to have a backup not residing on the hard drive of your computer

John D

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 12:28AM GMT
My FTM primary file is on an external hard drive. My FTM backup is on a 2nd external hard drive. The media files (as they existed before being attached to a tree profile) are on yet another external drive.

Yes, external hard drives can also fail, but that gives me 3 chances.

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 2:42AM GMT
John, I'm a little confused about your last response.
I have a secure backup strategy, but I rely on FTM2012 functionality to inform me should my file become malformed, and this was the basis for my original question.
I don't think you are suggesting that the abort that I am always getting at the end of FTM2012's "Compact File" operation is caused by using a hard disk when applying the "Backup Option". But, in any case, the abort that is always occurring at the end of the compact file operation happens whether the backup option is exercised or not. To add a little more confusion to this problem is the fact that when FTM2012 is restarted, it recognizes that it had previously aborted and suggests that the "Compact File" operation be performed to assure file integrity. If one were to follow this procedure, they would endlessly continue to invoke "Compact File", because it ends with an abort.
Perhaps my last message wasn't clear, so let me rephrase it this way-
The common and known error message "Family Tree Maker 2012 has stopped working" is issued on FTM2012 aborts.
Whenever I employ the "Compact File" operation, and after it completes and reports percentage of file compaction, FTM2012 aborts giving the above error message.
If I have understood your previous message, the fact that the compact file itself was successfully completed is assured because the % compacted was reported and no errors were issued prior to that.
So the compact file operation itself works correctly and my file has been compacted and is good, but after this FTM2012 then always aborts.
Now if my problem has been made clear, my question is-
Is this specific abort already known about, or should it be reported.
Thank you again for your thoughts on this.
-Tom

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 5:04AM GMT
Tom the issues you discuss are well known

My point is simply always have a good backup outside your hard drive and don't rely on the so called backup that FTM makes.

Bare in mind that compact does more than compact the file. More importantly it re indexes all the internal pointers.

This is in fact a greater benefit than the actual file size reduction due to compacting.

So long as you have a goo back up and that you regularly test it by doing a restore to see that it works. Then I would not worry too much more about what FTM thinks that it is doing.

John D

John D

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 1:31PM GMT
If you are getting this error consistently, there is a problem with the program.

If it were mine, I would do a series of compact operations. If that did not help I would look else where (Sorry I am not that technically up on deep problems within FTM)

One question: I could see an error occurring if the program loose contact with the exterior disk as it is closing the compact operation. Have you tried to see if the error occurs if you let the program pick the backup location, ie. folder "Family Tree Maker".

If this corrects the problem there may be a timing issue in the read/write routine of the computer, the external drive, and FTM. This is not fatal error just frustrating.

If it does not occur when you back up to the disk on which the program resides, you could then copy the backup to the other disk.

I back up to the folder created by FTM, "Family Tree Maker" containing the back up files, with the back up of the higher folder "My Documents".

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions