Search for content in message boards

Adding Occupation category to either Facts or Timeline

Adding Occupation category to either Facts or Timeline

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 6:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
When I go into People/Person where it has the Fact/Timeline/Relationship tabs, I would like to show the individual"s occupation at each event in the timeline or factline by adding an occupation column. Is that possible and if so, do I have to add the column to every individual in my tree (one at a time) or can I add the column as one of default columns in the program?
Thank you

Re: Adding Occupation category to either Facts or Timeline

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 10:14PM GMT
I do not quite understand what you want, as the occupation fact appear in the time line.

Could you give more informaton?

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 10:14PM GMT
Edited: 10 Aug 2013 10:17PM GMT
I do not quite understand what you want, as the occupation fact appear in the time line.

Could you give more informaton?

I tried to delete this 2nd post but the site will not let me so please ignore this post

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 12:26AM GMT
It's not possible. The three "fields" of a fact / event become the columns of the timeline: Date, Place, Description. Those are fixed.

However, if you have faithfully entered occupations, you could probably devise a custom report that comes close to showing all the occupations a set of people had over their lives.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 1:24AM GMT
Edited: 11 Aug 2013 1:26AM GMT
Yes, this is possible. Add the Occupation fact to an individual, enable Date/Location/Description fields for the fact and it will appear on the timeline.

You have to add these facts to each person in your tree.

Regards,
Attachments:

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 11:22AM GMT
Thank you so much. I will bookmark this post.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 8:32PM GMT
This isn't what the original poster was asking, but he seems to be happy with your answer, so he obviously didn't ask the right question.

He wanted a fourth COLUMN to show after DATE, PLACE and DESCRIPTION to show what a person's occupation was with each fact / event.

And... that is not possible - or even make sense.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 11:54PM GMT
I went by the title. If you add a row instead of a column, FTM can do what was asked.

Regards,

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 3:32PM GMT
If I asked the wrong question, I apologize. Yes, I wanted a 4th column, but since this isnt possible, I was greatful for jamclo's suggestion.
I also found that I could alter the actual information directly in the description field (although I wouldnt be able to use that for any type of 'sort by occupation'.
Still deciding which I like best.
Thanks to all who answered me. :)
Attachments:

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 5:28PM GMT
IMHO.. Personally I think the only correct answer is adding an additional OCCUpation "fact" with the correct information including FROM/TO date. Adding the Occupation as a part of the RESI description would not be correct.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions