Search for content in message boards

Updating from FTM 9

Updating from FTM 9

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 3:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been using my FTM version 9 for many years but am considering updating to FTM 2012. Is this possible and what problems might I experience in the upgrade?

Re: Updating from FTM 9

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 11:22AM GMT
You should first backup your FTM 9 file. I don’t remember details about FTM 9 but run file compress and all other options that will check your file for errors. The cleaner your file is the easier the conversions will be. Take another backup of your FTM 9 file and keep a copy in a secure place, not on your hard drive. FTM 2012 will be able to read your FTM 9 file and create a new FTM 2012 file. You should create a folder where you want your FTM 2012 files to be and make sure the conversion process creates the upgraded file in that folder. This process will not change your FTM 9 file so you can always start over.

The user interface for FTM 2012 is different from FTM 9 so you will have a learning curve. You may want to export a small portion of your FTM 9 as a GEDCOM and import that into FTM 2012. You can then take the tutorials and learn how to use FTM 20102 before converting your main file.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 4:52PM GMT
FTM 2014 is currently in Beta. You may wish to consider waiting for the new version before switching.

Good luck!

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 4:59PM GMT
FYI, You can install FTM 2012 without uninstalling FTM9. The two programs will not be able to work on the same file, but they can coexist on the same PC.
If you are also moving to a new computer, you do not have to have FTM9 installed on the new PC. Just bring a copy of the data over to the new PC after you install FTM2012.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 8:13PM GMT
After doing more research last night I learned that Mundia takes your files from ancestry.com and allows others to view and copy them without your permission. Does anyone know anything about this? I do not know if I want to use FTM 2012 if it is going to have the tree sync on ancestry.com and then have Mundia 'steal' it even if my settings are on private. I do want to have my files online someplace, but still have control over who can see it and copy it. Can anyone provide any clarification on this?

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 8:24PM GMT
You are in complete control whither FTM 2012 puts files on Ancestry.com. Even then, you have the ability to restrict the tree on ancestry so that it is private and if you want unsearchable. See: http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3082/kw/pri...

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 8:40PM GMT
I figured that, but there are a lot of people that say Mundia has transferred files that are marked private on Ancestry. I'll have to read more about it because I am not sure if this is true.

I also need to learn more about sharing on ancestry.com. Is it an all or nothing sort of share? Can I restrict them to certain information or branches of the tree? Can I allow someone to view my tree but not copy/download all my stuff to theirs?

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 9:11PM GMT
Private files were being transferred to Mundia but it was a mistake and should not be happening now. I only went on it long enough to make all my trees there private and unsearchable. The bad part when "they" did it is that even trees that I was a GUEST in that were private got transferred as my trees. This all WAS in error and hopefully was fixed.

You can't prevent someone from copying stuff if your tree is public. You can't really make a branch private. You CAN make individuals private, or certain other things private for instance my tree is public and I sync, but the actual media I pay for from Scotland's People I make private. Also you can make some facts private for a person and some public.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 11:49PM GMT
You can control downloads of your file, BUT if a person can view you information then they can copy what they see, It is impossible to prevent this. Any thing displayed on the computer screen can be copied.

I am using FTM 2012, and do not have an online tree yet. I have been working on it for over 10 years and there are still some problem areas that I would like to clean up.

Also AS I UNDERSTAND the notes from your FTM database are visible only to those invited guest. If these note which highlight my problems were visible to all I may be more inclined to upload my tree. I suspect a note saying the information is questionable would not prevent the name collectors from adding the information to their trees
per page

Find a board about a specific topic