Search for content in message boards

Source attached to online tree but not in FTM - won't go away

Source attached to online tree but not in FTM - won't go away

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Aug 2013 9:32PM GMT
I have a tree that I work on in FTM and keep synced to ACOM. I've noticed that certain changes do not always sync correctly, such as the description section for facts, but what I've just found is ridiculous!

While looking at the profile page (overview) of the online tree for a Martha Camp in my tree I noticed that a WWI draft registration record was listed under the section called "source information." I went to the "Facts and Sources" tab and it does not appear under the "facts and events" sub-tab but it does appear under the "source citation" sub-tab. However, it does not show that it is attached to any fact. I can't find any way to unlink it from her.
If I go to the record in Ancestry.com it does not show that it is attached to her.

I checked in FTM 2012 and the source is NOT attached/linked to this person. FYI, this source citation is for her son. I've synced the tree at least 4 times since finding this and it will not go away on the online tree.

I'm attaching snips.
Attachments:

Re: Source attached to online tree but not in FTM - won't go away

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 9:31PM GMT
Do I understand correctly that the record/source was added from the FTM side?

I have also had the same issue - what I add from the online tree always syncs to the FTM side. What I do on FTM does not always sync to the online side. I now only work from my online tree as a result.

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 9:38PM GMT
I work from FTM 99.9% of the time so I'm pretty sure this record was added through FTM. I don't recall ever adding draft cards via the online tree and then syncing to FTM.

I don't know why I would have attached this record to her since she is not mentioned at all.

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 10:27PM GMT
Understood.

Do you compact your FTM file regularly? That procedure tends to fix a lot of little issues.

I have attached a draft card to someone other that the person named once or twice - when it was evidence of a marriage, for example, when I did not have a marriage license or newspaper announcement.

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 10:48PM GMT
I've compacted the file about 3 times since noticing this error. I've learned it's best to compact frequently and I always make a backup before syncing. This error doesn't show up in FTM at all.

I've attached draft cards to someone when they are listed as the nearest relative but in this case his wife was the nearest relative.

I have just found this same problem for another person. In this case it's a death certificate for a son that I found on FamilySearch and added via FTM. It's likely that I had attached the death record to the parent at some point to use as evidence of their name but later removed it. I'm guessing the online tree has a tendency to hang onto those sources, even when they are no longer attached to any facts for that person.

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 10:54PM GMT
As I mentioned, I work primarily with my online tree. My primary online tree is private, after too many encounters with those who copy everything with a similar name, without caring whether s/he belongs in that family. Another story for another time.

But - what I do, now - I sync to my FTM, then upload as a different tree, public, without any media, only source info. I do that for the benefit of those who need the information on my core families.

Long story to say that I have noticed some cross-linking of records, on the uploaded tree, primarily on the 1900 census. The 1900 US census record for Bob Smith is regularly linked to his wife, Mary Jones Smith. I have not noticed it with records other than the 1900 US census.

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 11:35PM GMT
I just can't get used to working from my online tree, probably because I've used FTM far longer. I generally only edit things like the description field for a fact online when it won't update after an FTM sync. I guess this source citation issue I've found is a rather minor one in the scope of things but I've sent it to support anyway.

I like your idea of uploading a separate tree without media for public consumption. I have several trees. Some are public and I have to make sure certain media items are marked private so they don't show up online, either for copyright/usage reasons or because of those people you mentioned.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 11:39PM GMT
That's bizarre... Have you tried clicking on the citation detail in the second image? From there you can choose to choose to edit or delete the citation (links on the upper right hand side).

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 11:51PM GMT
Under the citation detail section the only option is to delete the entire source citation and I need it for the son - it won't let me just delete it from her.

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 2:26AM GMT
Have you tried deleting, as mentioned by sl kelly, and then re-saving to the son?

Worth a try, IMHO, to clean it up.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions