Search for content in message boards

Need Ozaukee Search HELP? from Carol

Need Ozaukee Search HELP? from Carol

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2006 5:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
With the winter months coming up I thought I would bring my offer of help to a current post.

If you are need of help in researching family info in Ozaukee county I may be able to help you out.

I have a wide variety of resources at my disposal to conduct searches. If you find yourself 'stuck' perhaps I can help you out or point you in the right direction.

I know how difficult it is when you live too far away and not know what, where or when the reseach resources are available.

This is my attempt at returning the favors which other kind people have done for me in the past helping with my family and history research projects. ---Carol

Re: Need Ozaukee Search HELP? from Carol

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 1:23AM GMT
Hi Carol,

I need lots of help. My gggrandmother was Wilhelmine Heuer Peterman. Her father's name was Johann (John) Heuer. I'm looking for any information on her father, mother, brothers and sisters. She had a sisters Frederika, Caroline, and Theresa. Her brothers were Ferdinand or Fermand and Frederick. They arrived in the US in 1839 and appear on the 1850 census in Washington County and in Ozaukee County by 1870.

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 3:42AM GMT
Hi Carol! I am wondering if you do research on buildings and businesses from the past. I am looking for history on the building which is now the Paramount Restaurant in Grafton (1304 12th Avenue). I know it was built in 1844 & had been a courthouse, hotel, and saloon, among other things over the years, but I have been hearing a few other stories as well. I'd like to be able to fill in the gaps.
Thanks in advance!

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 5:53PM GMT
I probably can get you started if you would please give me a little more info.

FIRST - Which township did you find them in? Mequon, Germantown, Polk? I need this to get started, I can go no further until I know where to start.

I *think* I have found info on Johann HEUER and his wife. I will need to visit the local archive office so it may take several weeks to get back to you with whatever info I dig up.

--Carol

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 5:56PM GMT
I can do some research on buildings and property, however, it is time consuming. Answers to questions like this will take several weeks.

--Carol

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Heuer
Johann Heuer appears on the 1850 census in Germantown with his wife, Mary. That's the last time she appears on a census. In 1860, John is still in Germantown with 3 children, no wife. In 1870, John is living with his son, Ferdinand in Grafton and in 1880, John is living with my gggrandmother in Milwaukee.

I've checked Milwaukee death records and couldn't find one on him. I've also checked the cemetery where my gggrandmother is buried and he isn't there either.

I've been to both Ozaukee and Washington Counties, but their records in the courthouses don't go back far enough.

Thank you

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 7:38PM GMT
I have checked into many sources and the only item I can find is at St John's Luth Cemetery (38th and Good Hope, Milwaukee). There is a Johann HEUER buried at this cemetery.

He *may* still be buried where his wife is - perhaps the marker deteriorated. Do you know where the Petermanns are buried? Could he be there? You might want to check with Union Cemetery and Lincoln Memorial (formerly Wanderer's Rest) in Milwaukee. MANY German immigrants are buried there.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say Oz courthouse records 'don't go back far enough'. Vital stats there go back to the late 1840's/early 1850's. Not every B-M-D was recorded since it was not legislated by law.

Area churches were usually better at maintaining vital stats of their members, however that was dependant upon the minister. Some very good at record keeping, others were not. Some did not even record ANY - those are the ones you hope never apply to your ancestor hunt (grin). Good Luck.

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Heuer
I've checked Union & Wanderer's Rest in Milwaukee. He's not there. What would be the oldest Lutheran Church in the area that he might have belonged to in 1850 or 1860. The only Lutheran Church I know of didn't start until 1878 and by that time he was in Milwaukee. Was St. John's around back then and if so where can or how can I get in touch with the sexton of their cemetery? Thank you.

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 7:38PM GMT
I do not know positively if this St John cemetery is linked to St John Church - Glendale (7877 Port Wash. rd.). It is an old cemetery next to Tripoli CC on Sherman bvld.

The oldest Lutheran church in Milwaukee (actually several of them) are all located downtown. They were all started in the 1850's & '60s - many of them buried their members at Union (I believe Union was started right after the Civil War). Trinity, St. Peter (now on 76th & Mill rd) and St. Mathew are some of the more well known early Lutheran ones.

Milwaukee county is not my main area of research - I am familiar with some aspects and resources in the county as a number of my ancestors lived there.

Did you just walk Union and Wanderers Rest or did you go through their burial records? I have done both and they are quite extensive.

--Carol

Posted: 13 Jan 2007 1:39PM GMT
Hello Carol in Oz,
I hope that maybe you can help me on my BECKER dilemma. My GGG Grandparents came to America in 1847 from Luxemburg, Rhine Province, Prussia and settled first in Port Washington by 1850. The oldest daughter Catherine, (my GGgrandmother who married John Dagen) came to Muskegon, Michigan before 1850 when her first child was born there. They were married in 1848/49. Her youngest sister Margaret, came from Wisconsin to Muskegon about 1855 and lived with the elder sister until her marriage in 1859. The other siblings whereabouts are unknown or at least unproven.

The BECKER clan on the passenger records of 11 March 1847 is as follows:
PETER BECKER age 50 (born ca 1793)
ANNA BECKER age 46 (born ca 1801)
CATHERINE BECKER age 18 (born 21 Aug 1829)
MARIA BECKER age 15 (born ca 1832)
PETER BECKER age 14(born ca 1833)
WILHELM BECKER age 10 (born ca 1837)
MARGARET BECKER age 5 (born 10 Nov 1841)

My dilemma is this: I have not been able to find any death records for Peter or Anna who both seem to disapear before 1860. This is my first priority. Second, the son Peter is perhaps the same who was born August 1833 and died in 1912 and who was married to Susanna Paulin in 1853 in Ozaukee County. Naming patterns, immigration date and locale all point to this being the brother of my Catherine and Margaret. I know that he states on the census that he was Naturalized so there is probably a record that can help me either tie or eliminate him as a member of my family.
ADDITIONAL:
The family was Catholic to the best of all of my research. Both Catherine and Margaret were buried from Catholic Churches and in Catholic Cemeteries. Both of their husbands were Catholic as well and children raised the same.
The 1850 census of Port Washington shows a family of Peter Becker with a wife Mary (???) son Michael (same age as Wilhelm) and daughter Margaret (correct age for my relative) whether this is my ancestor or not is not positive but is likely.
Other Peter Beckers appear in Washington and Ozaukee, but have pretty much been eliminated as mine due to immigration dates, places of birth, odd family members, etc.

Whatever you can do to help me discover death dates, places of burial, etc. for Peter and Anna would be appreciated. Naturalization records for Peter (husband of Susan/anna) would be a big help.

I am willing to pay any costs involved and for your time, postage etc. if you are willing to help me. If you would like further details, please feel free to ask. I have been doing family genealogy since 1962 and have gathered much data on my family, but only recently discovered Peter Beckers passenger record and his wife's name Anna. None of the family stories or death certificates ever revealed her name until that discovery. Margaret left many details regarding her coming to America which has help in my search, but provided little in the way of proof. Although Catherine only lived to be 65, Margaret made it to 87.

Thanks for reading this lengthy NOTE ??
Tony Clemente
per page

Find a board about a specific topic