Search for content in message boards

Spurious data in gedcom files

Spurious data in gedcom files

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 3:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Aug 2013 3:39PM GMT
Some while ago I decided to remove all people in my tree that were not directly related to me or married to a direct relation (cousin). Over the years I have allowed ancestors of people related by marriage to inhabit my tree.

After removing those people my tree has become much more manageable but has left me with a small problem. If I generate a gedcom from the tree there are lots of spurious entries in it that relate to people who no longer exist. Specifically family entries like this

0 @F6@ FAM
1 MARR
2 DATE 31 MAY 1874
2 PLAC The Parish Church, South Hackney

This is not a major problem as the data is, generally, invisible within the program but causes me some problems when I import the gedcom to other programs. If I import the data into RootsMagic it has the ability to "Clean Phantom Records" but, of course, I wouldn't then be able to re-import the cleaned data back into FTM2012 and re-sync with Ancestry.

Anyone know how I might purge those spurious data entries?

Re: Spurious data in gedcom files

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 5:46PM GMT
Make an "Extended Tree" and there you will see the "Islands" of people that are not linked to the main tree.

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 5:55PM GMT
These are families with no people not people that are not linked. I have no individuals that are "unlinked".

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 5:57PM GMT
BTW, what's an extended tree? Where do I find that option? I don't want to create a new tree as it would destroy all the links to my fully "sync'd" tree on Ancestry.

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 5:58PM GMT
Did you delete the source citations for the folks you deleted? I wonder if what you are seeing could have something to do with unlinked sources?

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 6:04PM GMT
Yes, I'm convinced that's what happened. I deleted people assuming, wrongly, that all data associated with them, marriages residences, births etc., would be deleted. It seems all the individual data goes but the family data remains.

I could delete the data in the gedcom file as it's easy to find but it would only re-appear the next time I generated one.

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 6:28PM GMT
You could try going to the Sources tab and sort for unlinked ones. It's a slow process, but it can be done.

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 6:36PM GMT
Thanks for that. I've shut down for the evening (in the UK) but will check it in the morning. I've got 169 families with no people in. Some have marriage date some have place but none have any individuals.

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 8:26PM GMT
It's just a report, publish, extended family report, use all individuals. If you have unattached PEOPLE they will be at the bottom left, individually or in groups. [I usually select home person to start with.] You can delete a person by selecting them in the chart right click and delete. Thee will be a confirmation so you don't do it by accident.

However if you truly do not have detached individuals but only detached sources, then your best bet is to go to the sources tab and sort by person, unlinked will be at the bottom.

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 8:59AM GMT
Thank you Barbara.

I definitely do not have any unlinked individuals. I was very careful not to leave any when I performed my "cull" on unrelated (to me) people in my tree. My problem has been caused by the fact that when you delete two people, say parents of cousins spouse, then the family data, marriage fact, date, place etc., remains in the database. It then gets transferred into any gedcoms you create.

I have checked the unlinked sources, as you suggested, and have about 2800 of them. Unfortunately there seems no way to select them all and perform a mass delete. It's a slow process otherwise.

Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions