Search for content in message boards

Both FTM 2012 and FTM 2014 beta died

Both FTM 2012 and FTM 2014 beta died

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 8:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was a beta tester and successfully got up to the first version of Beta 3. But this version unfortunately and incorrectly connected automatically to one of my 2012 Ancestry Trees. Just then I also had a family vacation scheduled. By the time I got back the 2nd version of Beta 3 would no longer download and my FTM 2012 version could no longer link/sync to my Ancestry Trees.

So I deleted my Ancestry Trees and FTM Beta 3 to see if this would reactivate 2012's Tree sync ability. No dice. So then I tried the repair option for FTM2012. No dice. Then I used the FTM2012 install disk. No dice.

So here I am with no FTM2012 access nor 2014 Beta access and no Ancestry Trees to play with. So, do I have to wait until the final FTM 2014 is available in the late Fall to get access again to my 4 laptop FTM files (about 22,000 people in total). They happen to be my master files.

Any tips would sure be welcome. In the meantime, I will go back to manual/paper research.

I'm running 64 bit win7 professional, on an HP Pavilion intel i3 laptop.
Cheers,
Bo

Re: Both FTM 2012 and FTM 2014 beta died

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 1:46AM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2013 1:46AM GMT
Unfortunately you write that you were/are a beta tester for a version beyond FTM 2012. Having worked in the computer software industry for nearly 30 years before 'retiring' I am aware that every company with a beta testing program has non-disclosure agreements. Testers do not discuss even being involved in such testing.

Might I suggest that you check whatever information you received for such a program. I would be very surprised if there were not some point of contact included in that information. It would be those individuals (running a beta test program) who would be better prepared to assist you with your problem than anyone on this list.

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 2:19AM GMT
Correct. Because I was not able to download the beta 3 version 2, I was also automatically shutout of the Beta discussion group. Believe me I tried.

Maybe there was a better way to communicate this so both the 2012 and 2014 issues can be shared and hopefully addressed by someone, somewhere, somehow. In the heat of the moment this is what I chose. Ether way I remain locked out and maybe others may face simiilar 2012 issues as support seems to wind down, while Win7 also seems to be having age issues.

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 2:25AM GMT
There is a separate message board for the Beta group. I would suggest you post there.

For the reasons stated by an earlier poster, I will not put a link here, but it is easy enough to find.

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 4:06PM GMT
I have reviewed again both your posts. If I am following your comments correctly, you converted both your 2012 FTM and Ancestry.com tree files to the next version you were testing. It also seems you did not save a backup copy of your FTM 2012 files or original Ancestry tree.

If that assessment is correct, the problem is your converting your FTM and tree files without maintaining a backup of your original FTM 2012 data and Ancestry tree. Meaning you are the problem, not FTM.

In addition, you have violated the legal non-disclosure agreement by announcing your testing of a new version of FTM and the problems you now have for which you blame FTM.

Again, I suggest you review any email you received before testing for a point of contact (an email contact) to obtain assistance. And no, I do not mean a beta test email group.

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 5:25PM GMT
I have indeed made daily backups of my Tree files, both FTM2012 and FTM2014Beta

The way FTM 2012 launches first the usual whirly thing appears, followed by the splash screen while it initializes, then the frame shows up followed lastly by the data. In my case FTM 2012 does not get past the whirly thing even after reinstallation so I have no way to work with my original or backup files - which still exist. Meanwhile FTM 2014 Beta and it's discussion group no longer work as they seemed to have timed out. So ... stuck in "no mans land".

Sorry for all the concern. I am not a professional IT person ... just a Beta end-user volunteer hoping to get some help with getting my FTM 2012 to work again.
Cheers,
Bo

Persistence pays off

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 11:06AM GMT
Since uninstalling and reinstalling did not work I thought maybe my laptop was corrupted. So it was time to do indepth system maintenance.

So I cleaned my registry files, spyware, tracks, temp files etc several times. No dice. I then defragged my registry and hard drive. That took many hours, to no avail. Then I tried a deep antivirus scan. Again many hours but no success.

Then I tried something counterintuitive. All previous successful installs were done while the antivirus was enabled. I disabled antivirus and reinstalled FTM2012 from disk. Ta da! Trial and error persistence worked. Back to research.
Cheers,
Bo

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 12:18AM GMT
It doesn't make any sense to me about said non-disclosure agreement such as is pointed out here when there is a public message board for FTM 2014 Beta at

http://boards.ancestrylibrary.com/ftm-2014-beta/mb.ashx

When that board is public it really negates the purpose of a non-disclosure agreement, doesn't it?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic