Search for content in message boards

FTM2012 How to exclude non biological parent/child relationships from charts and reports

FTM2012 How to exclude non biological parent/child relationships from charts and reports

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 8:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello everyone
I am trying to produce a descendant report based on preferred parent/child relationships only, so as to avoid having duplicates due to in the family adoptions.
In the very old version of FTM I worked with until recently (FTM11), this was possible. On the current version I didn't find a clue how this can be done.
Thanks for your help

Uri

Re: FTM2012 How to exclude non biological parent/child relationships from charts and reports

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 10:59AM GMT
Uri

Have you specified that the descendant chart is to include preferred facts only? Look at Items to Include. This is the left most icon under Descendant Chart options.

Curt

Re: FTM2012 How to exclude non biological parent/child relationships from charts and reports

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 5:39PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2013 5:52PM GMT
I have not found a way to show what your asking in a Descendant Report or Chart.

My experience is that FTM shows the child AND ALL DESCENDANTS OF THAT CHILD for EACH PARENT of that child in a DESCENDING REPORT. This is regardless of the choice of type of relationship (ie natural, adopted, step, foster, etc).

If the parents are both descendants of a common ancestor upstream (whether by cousin marriage or adopting "within the family"), the children - and all descendants of that child - will be listed twice (or even more times if multiple cousin marriages).

When you run an ancestral report in FTM, FTM will include ANCESTORS based on the Preferred Parents choice.

My experience is that you must go to File > Person > Attach/Detach > Detach and detach the child from their adoptive parents. You can re-attach after running the report if you wish.

This is why I never ATTACH step-children as children of step-parents. I record the children to their natural parents, if known, but not foster or step-parents.

This is another one of my annual enhancement requests to FTM that seem to go unheeded from year to year.

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 7:11PM GMT
Yes, I marked preferred facts only but the adopted children still appear under the adopting couple. When I pick the "Include parent/child relationship type" option of the descendant report,it will include the names of the biological parents in the text of each person (even if he/she is not adopted). Thanks anyway
Uri

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 7:14PM GMT
Thanks. This is exactly what I wished to avoid.
Uri
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions