Search for content in message boards

Making certain induviduals show private

Making certain induviduals show private

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 1:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have family tree maker 2012. I would like to make my family tree public but want to keep living people private. Is there a way to do that so that it is visible to me only? :)

Re: Making certain individuals show private

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 1:10AM GMT
Your question - apparently - applies to an ancestry.com online tree (AMT). Correct?

If you are ONLY using FTM 2012 and not sync-ing to an AMT tree, there is NO privacy/living issue.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 1:17AM GMT
Yes, i am connecting it with my ancestry.com . Do i do it through the website? If so, how do it do that? Thanks for replying so quick! :)

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 1:30AM GMT

Re: Making certain induviduals show private

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 1:39AM GMT
I have family tree maker 2012. I would like to make my family tree public but want to keep living people private. Is there a way to do that so that it is visible to me only? :)

That is exactly how it works

John D

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 1:52AM GMT
"That is exactly how it works"

As John says - but with the proviso that "it" does not always work as it is supposed to. In general, the living - or those with no death date, but born within 100 years - are not visible, but sometimes the system breaks. Been there, suffered through that. That is why my primary tree is now private, after at least 3 failures of the privacy-of-the-living in the last 5 years.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 1:55AM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2013 1:55AM GMT

Yes, what you want to do is what ancestry does.

It does this as follows:

1) Anyone in your file with a death date or death place is shown.

2) Anyone with a birth date over 100 years from now (actually, I think last index) is shown.

3) If you have not entered a birth date or death info, you have the option to mark the person as living or dead in their profile. IF marked living, nothing about that person will be shown.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 2:02AM GMT
Ok....Im going through everyone who is living and clicking living. But you are saying if i have no death date or place nothing will show anyways? I had a sister who passed away young. I had the deathdate in but because it was in the last 40 yrs she will NOT show if i keep her death date in right? Thanks for all your help!

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 2:07AM GMT
No i think im wrong! How do ikeep my sisters info in the tree ( showing her as deceased but still keeping her private. Im uncomfortable dropping her death date and marking her living just to keep her private. Dont know how to put her in.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 2:10AM GMT
I would worry less about your sister who died young than about (for example) your great aunt who is still living at 101.

If there is a death date, the person will be visible. If there is no death date, but the person was born (for example) in 1912, s/he will be shown. My cousin Louise died this year at 103. No matter what I tried, she and her photos (many) and records were visible for the last 3 years.

The privacy rule is 100 years. Some/many people live longer than that, today.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions