Search for content in message boards

Bennetts from Virginia to Whitley County KY

Bennetts from Virginia to Whitley County KY

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bennett, Pennington, Hamblin. Ross, Sadler, Featherstone
My grandmother always told her family that her gg grandmother was Cherokee. My grandmother was about 5'7 inches tall with the high cheekbones and jet black hair until right before she died of cancer at the age of 83. Her name was Katie Powers Hill from Whitley County, KY. Her mother was Elizabeth Bennett born 1861 Patterson Creek Whitley Co., KY d. 1941, Whitley County KY. Elizabeth's parents were Benjamin James Bennett b. 1819-Whitley County, KY, d. 1889-Whitley Co., married Rachel Catherine Pennington b. 1819-Knox Co, KY d. 1890-Whitley Co., KY Benjamins's parents were Amos Bennett b. 1791-Tn d. before 1870-Whitley Co., KY and Sarah Elizabeth Hamblin-b. 1797-NC
d. 1880 Whitley Co., KY I don't know who Amos Bennett's parents were. I need information on where the cherokee blood line comes in if it does. We always were told it was through the Bennett or Pennington line. My uncle who is 84 is wanting to find out about the Indian line. He did a DNA test from Ancestry, but they don't have results showing the bloodlines.
We also have Bennetts from the Powers line (My grandmother's father's side) Jesse Powers married a Rebecca Bennett b. 1796-TN d. 1879-Campbell Co. TN Rebecca's parents were John Bennett b. 1796-VA d. 1830-Whitley Co., KY and Rebecca Denee Ross b. 1768-d. 1830-Whitley Co., KY John's father was John M. Bennett b. 1750 Isle of Wight VA, d. 1798-VA and Elizabeth Sadler b. 1739-VA d. 1816 Liberty TN John M's father was Benjamin b. 1704-VA, d.1783-VA mother unknown, Elizabeth Sadler's parents were Thomas Sadler and Rebecca Featherstone, both born early 1700's in VA and died in VA in the late 1700's.
I hope someone out there can help me know where to go or know yourself if there is any way I can verify the Cherokee bloodline. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My email address is wlshelley@yahoo.com

Re: Bennetts from Virginia to Whitley County KY

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett
I'm sorry that I cannot help you with Cherokee connection, but perhaps we can expand the Bennett line. I'm looking for the parents and siblings of William H. Bennett born 1822-1828 someplace in KY. Does he appear in your line?

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 7:43PM GMT
I have a William Bennett but he would have been born in 1857. Do you know who your William H. Bennett married? Where did he die?

Posted: 14 Feb 2010 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett, Howarth
My William H. Bennett married in 1855 at Gallia Co, OH to Jane Howarth, born abt 1836 in England. They had several children. After Jane died in 1883 at Cuba, Crawford, MO, the family dispersed and William traveled west, spending some time with adult children in Kittitas Co, WA. He died at Portland OR in 1894.

Posted: 15 Feb 2010 12:03AM GMT
I don't think our William's are related, but I will keep this post and if I run into anything I will let you know. My Bennetts stayed in and around Whitley County, KY when they traveled here.

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 11:42PM GMT
I have posted this before but am trying again.

I have a dog tag for a Verlin E. Bennett. I found one Verlin Bennett born 1936 and died 1990 and got SSN in West Va.

The military tag is i good condition but bent a little on each corner. But I will print below exactly what is on it.

Bennett, Verlin E
US52374770
T55 B
P

iF THIS MIGHT FIT IN YOUR FAMILY i WOULD LOVE TO GIVE IT TO YOU.

I FOUND IT IN MY MOTHER IN LAW'S BELONGING AFTER HER DEATH. SHE WAS MABLE DOUGLAS WALDEN BORN IN JELLICO, TENN AND THEN MARRIED GEORGE L.WALDEN AND LATER THEY CAME TO OHIO FOR WORK.

IF THIS FITS INTO YOUR FAMILY I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE THIS TO YOU.

PLEASE REPLY.

MARCI BOGEL BOGLE WALDEN

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 5:04PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett
My Bennetts were from around that area and I have also been told we have Cherokee blood, but I don't know which line, the Bennetts or Lewallen.

I can't verify this. I thought about a DNA test, but it has to be a male with the surname to have it done.

My ancesters are Dessie Bennett, Joel Myphrey Bennett, Hudson Bennett and Edward Bennett. It looks as though your Powers line matches my line. I can't yet confirm further back but it is looking as though the next in line after Edward is John, John Maclin, Benjamin, James and Richard.
If I can verify this, Richard was the govenor of Virginia under the British rule.

You can view my family tree to see more: Kinley and Cadd Family Tree. Dessie Bennett was my father's mother.

Good luck with your hunt.

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 8:10PM GMT

I just read your post...from my research, it looks like you Edward was a brother to another post about Amos. Edward and Amos had a brother named Levi who married Nancy Harp (which is my line). Also leading to their father as John Bennett (m Rebecca Ross) ... John M Bennett (m Elizabeth Sadler) ... Benjamin Bennett (m Sarah ?) ... James Bennett (m Mary Rogers) ... Richard Bennett Jr (m Anne Pierce) ... Richard Bennett (m Anne Barham).

I think we are all trying to make that Cherokee connection.

Posted: 22 Sep 2014 2:53AM GMT
Surnames: John bennett and John Bentlry
I also is interested in the Bennett line. my great grandmother was Malinda Bennett, married John Bentley . her father was John Bennett. mother not known. We have also always heard we are part Cherokee from one or the other of these lines.

I am very interested in any information you can give me.

Posted: 22 Sep 2014 3:42AM GMT
My father just had a DNA test done on 23&Me. It came back as 0.01 percent Native American through his maternal side. It is a minute amount, but it does show what my grandmother had always said that she was part Native American through her mother's side of the family-which was Elizabeth Bennett wife of Jesse LeMance Powers and daughter of Benjamin Bennett and Rachel Catherine Pennington. I have a tree on Ancestry. It is the Hill Powers Miller Hill Shelley Lester tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic