Search for content in message boards

How do I create a relationship between existing people in FTM2012 (Solved)

How do I create a relationship between existing people in FTM2012 (Solved)

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 3:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Aug 2013 11:53AM GMT
When adding data into FTM 2012, I inadvertently re-entered my maternal GGrandpa. I merged the two records, and later when looking at the pedigree chart realized that GGrandpa wasn't listed.

I went to the person menu>Attach/Detach Person>Attach Child...> and received the error message: "These people cannot be attached because one of them is already a direct relationship of the other".

Now I know there is (somewhere) stored this link, but I can't seem to find it. How do I restore the correct relationship between son and father?

Re: How do I create a relationship between existing people in FTM2012

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 6:04AM GMT
If you click on the detach option, it should show you each spouse or child group, and that should indicate which relationship already exists that may need to be modified.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 11:53AM GMT
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. At first it didn't solve the problem, but then I just went to my grandpa's relationships and deleted that one from HIS profile. I was then able to add the relationship. Thanks again!

Posted: 20 Jan 2014 2:13AM GMT
I was having this same problem and had to solve it in a different way. I went to the CHILD's relationship profile and found that although his father was listed, "preferred parent" was somehow NOT checked. So, checking the "preferred parent" box was the fix!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions