Search for content in message boards

Angus Mc/MacGillis & Catherine Mc/Maclellan - Finlay McGillis line?

Angus Mc/MacGillis & Catherine Mc/Maclellan - Finlay McGillis line?

Posted: 3 May 2003 12:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Oct 2003 10:52AM GMT
Surnames: Mc/MacGillis, Sandfield Macdonald, Mc/Maclellan
The Finlay line goes like this:
Descendants of Finlay MacGillis

1 Finlay MacGillis
.. 2 Donald MacGillis
....... 3 John MacGillis
........... 4 Angus MacGillis
................ 5 Donald McGillis
.................... +Catherine McDonald
.................... 6 Angus Mcgillis b: Abt. 1802 d: June 01, 1855 in Lanc 6C N19, Glengarry, Ontario
........................ +Janet Mcrae b: Abt. 1803 AltName: Jennet McRae Relationships: Parents: Findlay & Flora McRae
.................... 6 Alexander Mcgillis b: Abt. 1807
........................ +Margaret McRae b: Abt. 1805 m: June 25, 1829 Relationships: Daughter of Roderick & Mary McRae, Lanc 4C N10
.................... 6 Duncan Mcgillis
.................... 6 John Mcgillis
................ 5 Hugh MacGillis AltName: Ewen McGillis
.................... 6 Findlay MacGillis
................ 5 John MacGillis b: Abt. 1755 d: Abt. 1819 Relationships: Grandfather of Angus Samuels daughter-in-law. Grey says this man was the Sadler's Grandfather
.................... +Mary MacLellan Relationships: {dau of Angus og son of Angus of Morar Scotland}
.................... 6 Donald McGillis b: Abt. 1786 d: November 25, 1849 in 5 C N36, Lancaster, Ontario Relationships: Oldest of eight children
........................ +Nancy MacGillis b: Abt. 1792 d: December 01, 1863 in 5 C N36, Lancaster, Ontario Relationships: Dau of Ranald, my uncle {son of Mary MacDonald dau of Lauchlin son of Hugh of Donald of Donald} & sister of James) Father: Ranald Gillis McGillis Mother: Margaret McGillis
.................... 6 Catherine McGillis b: Abt. 1798 d: March 02, 1858 in Chicago, USA
.................... 6 Ranald McGillis
.................... 6 Ewen McGillis
.................... 6 Finlay McGillis
.................... 6 Mary McGillis
.................... 6 Angus McGillis
.................... 6 Sarah McGillis d: 1883
........... 4 Donald MacGillis
................ 5 Donald MacGillis
.................... +Mary McLellan
.................... 6 Peggy MacGillis b: Abt. 1797 d: May 28, 1859 in Char 7C N1
I am trying to confirm whether Angus MacGillis m. to Catherine Maclellan is the Angus labelled 4. above. His daughter Mary MacGillis married Allan Sandfield Macdonald and lived in Glengarry.
I have the circumstantial evidence that Mary died at the home of John son of Angus 4. Also, the will of Allan Macdonell makes Ranald McGillis of Cornwall an executor. Could this be the son of John son of Angus. Johm also married a Maclellan.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regars,

Evelyn

Re: Angus Mc/MacGillis & Catherine Mc/Maclellan - Finlay McGillis line?

mary herrbach (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2003 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: McGillis
I can't answer your question but I am very curious about your Hugh Ewen and Ewen McGillis. Ewen is supposed to be my great great great grandfather but I can find nothing more than a birth record. His wife according to family was Annie. Please email me direct at mary@herrbach.org

Pete McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2003 5:47AM GMT
Evelyn, I likely can't help you with the main quest in your posting, but Donald McGillis (generation 6) married my 2nd great-grandaunt Nancy McGillis and your relationships comment appears to be from Father John MacDonald's Diary of Deaths who was a 1st cousin 4 times removed. You can contact me directly at pete@pmcd.com

Pete

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 5:59PM GMT

Hi Evelyn: This is what I term the AJDF line of McGillis
which has a connection with my DDDA line. Since we have exchanged at length my email now is opelhein@shaw.ca
Neil

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 11:26AM GMT
Hi Neil, I remember. I'll note your email addess. I am now the host of the Glengarry County Genweb. Widowed, I remarried hence the change in last name. You will find my email address on the GCG home page.

Regards,

Evelyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions