Search for content in message boards

James Thompson b 1739 (maybe in PA?), buried in Lackey Thompson Cemetery

James Thompson b 1739 (maybe in PA?), buried in Lackey Thompson Cemetery

Posted: 20 Sep 2009 1:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anybody know who this James Thompson b 1739 is & how this James is connected with the other Thompson's?

The next closest date of birth that I've found online in this cemetery is that of James Thompson, Mason, b Aug 1776 York PA & migrated to Iredell Co as a baby.

And a Joseph Thompson b 1778. Does anybody know about Joseph's ancestry & wife, children etc?

This James b 1776 m Martha Lackey & their children are buried in this cemetery.

Even though some say that the father of this James b 1776 is John & others say Thomas, I wonder if there's a possibility that James b 1739 is actually the father of James & Joseph?

I'm still new enough to this that I don't know how to proceed to find more info, & I'm hoping that you all might know something about these family members or have advice re how to find out this info

THANKS
~Katherine

Re: James Thompson b 1739 (maybe in PA?), buried in Lackey Thompson Cemetery

Posted: 16 Feb 2010 11:08PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Lackey
Katherine, I'm descended from James Thompson and Martha Lackey. I've some pretty good research notes if you are interested. I have James' father as John, who, by the way, is my 5th great-grandfather, twice. (Hiddenite is a small town, lol)

Posted: 17 Feb 2010 1:29AM GMT
Surnames: LACKEY STEWART DAGENHART STAMPER HARRIS MATHIS HEGE GRIGGS
John appears on the Rowan County tax records, and according to Iredell County records, he purchased property and received land grants from the State of North Carolina in the 1790's. He had already owned some 200 acres in that area before the grant. On 5 Dec 1782, he bought 100 acres on the South Yadkin, and on 13 Aug 1778, he filed 100 acres adjoining land owned by William Lackey (father of Martha Lackey).

He served as a sergeant in Brevard's Company from July 1781 to July 1782 and as a private in Sharpe's Company from August 1782 to April 1783 during the Revolutionary War.

In his will, probated August 16, 1814, John Thompson left his sons rights to his three slaves.

The above is taken from my notes and was received from another researcher. The tax and military service can be documented, but I do not know if this John was the father of James Thompson who married Martha Lackey.

The Lackey-Thompson Cemetery is located in Alexander Co., NC and this is where James Thompson and his wife, Martha are buried. There is another James Thompson (b 1739) buried there. I have a census of the cemetery that was completed in the early 1980's.

I do not have any documented proof on John Thompson. My notes state that he migrated from PA to Rowan Co., NC This area was later Iredell Co and then later on Alexander Co. There were other Thompsons in this area and possibly he migrated to be near kin. Wish I could be of more help.

Posted: 18 Feb 2010 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
Hi Kimberly,
Thanks so much for your response about our Thompson's---I believe we share the same 5th great grandfather & I would love to see your research notes. How is the best way to do that? I know very little about John, his siblings, spouse, & have guessed--but don't have records--that James, Ann, & William were some of his children. Do you know when John was born & when he died? Thanks so much for your offer of your research notes, which I would find so helpful!!
~Katherine

Posted: 18 Feb 2010 11:30PM GMT
Katherine, My descent is thru daughter Sophronia's daughter Louisa Caroline Adams Warren. I tried to copy the information from my FTM 10 to place here but could not. I tried to export the data but received jiberish. I can send
it as an image. It is attached; hope this works.
Attachments:

Posted: 18 Feb 2010 11:47PM GMT
My notes on John Thompson are not so great or substantiated. My descent is thru both James and his sister Ann.
Attachments:

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 12:02AM GMT
Thanks Kimberly
I was able to open it as an attachment & found it helpful. Thanks for taking the time to figure out how to attach it.

Do you have other info re James/Squire Jimmy's father John? Any help with info re Squire Jimmy's father John Thompson would be really great. Thanks.

~Katherine

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 12:28AM GMT
Your notes on the Thompson murder are wonderful. But as we know today, the statement by Mr. Sharpe, that Tom Dula was involved is incorrect...Tom Dula died in 1866 and the date of the robery was 1888. The men responsible for the robbery were Lige Church, who killed Margaret Thompson with an axe; Harrison Dockery (who was pardoned after five years); and Elijah Church...the later two were charged with complicity and I believe there was one other man involved. You can read partial transcripts of the trial at..................
http://www.ncgenweb.us/alexander/carolinethompson_trial.html

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 1:36AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Lackey
Hey Cajunhaven--

I appreciate your taking the time to write out what you know about John Thompson. This is the same John Thompson that I'm interested in---the John who acquired land grants & purchased land on the South Yadkin River adjoining Wm Lackey.

Do you have any information re the 2 Thompson men buried in the Lackey-Thompson cemetery--- Jospeh b 1788 & James b 1739?

I wonder if James b 1739 might be John's brother....and if Jospeh is either the son of James b 1739 or John....

Do you know who John married or where John is buried?

Thanks for your kindness in providing so much helpful information & thanks, too, for your understanding & patience with all of my questions.

~Katherine

Posted: 19 Feb 2010 1:43AM GMT
The Joseph buried at Lackey-Thompson Cemetery might be the son of this John Thompson who d in Irdell in 1798, & his will was probated in 1799.

Any chance that this John Thompson could be the John who lived on S Yadkin? Or, was there particular info re the John whose will was probated in 1814 that made it more likely that he was the John T on the South Yadkin?

from Abstracts of Will Books I, II, & IA, Iredell Co NC 1788-1845:  I-221  
 John Thompson 29 Jan 1798 Prb. 19 Nov 1799.

Wf:  Margaret - 50 A then to young son Joseph.  Sons:  Joseph - to have schooling & care til arrives at maturity; George - rest of lands.  Daus:  Elizabeth & Jane.  Exec:  Wf & son George.  Wit:  John McLeland, Jurat, Alexander Witherspoon, George Thompson.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions