Search for content in message boards

Marion Woodville Dudley and Sarah E. Merriott

Marion Woodville Dudley and Sarah E. Merriott

Posted: 20 Dec 2004 1:59AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Dudley/Speer/Merriott
Hi, I saw your post and wanted to know if you can find anything on Marion Woodville Dudley and Sarah E. Merriott and their family. They had children, 1-Cornelia (Neile) Dudley, 2-Albert Dudley, 3. Carlas Dudley, 4. Laura Dudley, 5. Nora Dudley, 6. Dicie O'berry Dudley, my Grandmother. I think they were from Kentucky, but am not sure. I think they were of Indian parentage. Grandmother always said she was Black Dutch, but I heard she was of Indian blood. Grandmother married a Marion Monroe Speer from Arkansas. They lived in Texas, then to California, where they both died. They both died in Marin County, CA. Grandfather died at Letterman General Hospital in San Francisco. If you have any info on this family I would sure appreciate it. I can't find anything on the Dudley family other than the names that I have. Thank you and hope you have a Wonderful Christmas and New Year.
Wanda

Re: Marion Woodville Dudley and Sarah E. Merriott

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 2:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I ave a family story much the same as yours with a slight variation we were always told that we were Black Welsh rather than Black Dutch.

Contact me at my e-mail, rpatcedar@resbird.net, and I will share information.

Robert

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 3:10AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2006 2:03AM GMT
Surnames: Dudley. Speer and Merriott
Hi Robert,
Just got your message. It was good to hear from you.
Are you searching the Dudley name or the Merriott?

My Grandmother was a Dudley, and I am having trouble finding her sisters and
her one brother. I don't have much on her family as I am just getting
started on it. I am researching her husband (My Grandfather), Marion Monroe
Speer. I heard that the Dudley's came from Kentucky, but am not sure as I
have heard that my Grandmother was from Arkansas.
I got a little bit of information from one of my Speer cousins. She sent me
a letter from a Jan Dudley. Please get back to me and lets see what we both
have.
Hope you and yours have a great New Year.
Wanda
I tried sending this message to the e-mail posted and it wouldn't go out. Thought I would try it this way.

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 7:58PM GMT
Hello Wanda,

I am looking for Dudleys.

My Grandpa Dudley always said his family came from Old Virginia and were Black Welsh.

He told me just once that his Grandma was a fullblood Indian.

The line following that I have established is from the Federal Census Records;
Preston Dudley b. about 1809 in SC living in VA m.Eleanor ? b.about 1800>
son Hiram Dudley b. about 1830 in VA living in VA m. Hannah ? (maybe Wallace) b. about 1838 in VA >
son John Harvey Dudley (Harvey) b. 6/8/1854 in VA lived in Cabel Co. WVa d. (in IN probably)
m. Minerva Johnson b. about 1856 in OH d. Kitts Hill Lawrence Co OH marrage at Leatherwood, Lawrence Co. OH>
son William Harvey Wallace Elsides Dudley b. 1875 Leatherwood Lawrence Co. OH d. 1950-51 Marion, Marion Co. OH m. Lucinda Corbin b. Leatherwood, OH d. (both) buried Myrtle Ridge Cem. Lawrence Co, OH >
Children:

Norris P. Dudley
William O. Dudley
Leafa Dudley Rife
Charles G. Dudley
Mayme Dudley Lust
Wendel Marion (changed to Patrick) Dudley
Naomi A. Dudley Nichols (my mother)

The names of the children and dates from the progression of the Census Data match up so far as I can determine but, I have proven this line no further than I show.

I have a portrait of ggfather John Harvey and gfather William taken in New Albany, Delaware Co,. IN circa 1900.

Try my e-mail once again- rpatcedar@redbird.net

I tried to send you an e but am not sure of your e-addy.
Please send me a good e-addy as I have a few things that may help you.

I don't like this posting thing for some theoritic/assumptive items. Some folks take assumptions to the bank.

Looking to hear from you,
Robert

Brammer, Corbin, Asher, Web, Williams, Johnson, Earles and Bowman are the major associated familys that I am familiar with.

There was a lot of migration of Dudleys that moved in the general direction of SC, TN to VA then WV then OH then to IN.

Posted: 29 Mar 2005 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: Dudley
Hi Robert, I just found your reply and am sorry that I haven't found it sooner. I would love to have the informaiton you have on the Dudley family. My e-mail address is w.homen@comcast.net
I haven't found any new information since my last message. I wish I could find some information on that particular family. I have no idea where my Grandmother Dicie Dudley's sisters were living at the time of their deaths. She also had a brother, Albert Dudley, and I have no idea where he lived or anything about him. The only two of her sisters that I knew were Carlas and I think I met Neilie, Not sure how it was spelled. We were around Aunt Carlas quite a bit, but the others I don't think we ever met. I remember Grandmother saying her family came from Kentucky, but that is about all I know. I got a letter from a Speer cousin, who sent me a letter from a Jan Dudley, who was a cousin to my Grandmother. The letter had belonged to my Grandmother. I think it was a Jan Vetter Dudley. Not sure.

Posted: 29 Mar 2005 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Corbin, Brammer, Webb, Asher
Dear Wanda,

I have all my Dudley info on a floppy and can't locate it just now. I will leave myself a note to get it to you when I locate it,
Of course I will undoubtebly misplace the note!

The Dudley's are a rough bunch to follow. I knew my GGrandpa's name was John Harvey but that is all I could glean from my Mother or her siblings. I think he left Ohio for Indiana about 1885. That was all I had to go on. In Ohio my family was located in Leatherwood, Kits Hill, Bald Knob, Ironton, Cole Grove, Hanging Rock and around Myrtle Ridge all in Lawrence County now but when they first located there from VA it was Washington County.

Now I seem to have lost him on my desk!

Be well,
Robert

Posted: 29 Mar 2005 11:50PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2006 2:03AM GMT
Surnames: Dudley
Thank you Robert for getting back to me so soon. I see you are more on the ball than I was. I am really looking forward to seeing what you have on my family. I really appreciate your going to all this trouble. I wish I could have known some of Grandmothers family, but it didn't work out that way.
Thanks again, looking forward to hearing from you again.
God bless you and your family,
Wanda

Posted: 18 Apr 2005 1:34AM GMT
Robert Nichols
Would have you any information on John W Dudley born 1821, Fleming co, Ky? He married Sarah Matthews and after her death, married Elizabeth Bracken. I have a complete history on Bracken family thanks to gentelman on these message boards. I have nothing on John Dudley's parents or siblings.
He went to Menard co. Illinois with Elizabeth and children he had with his first wife Sarah and then on to Bates co. Mo.
If you recognize any thing I would appreciate the help.
Thank you
Robert Dudley
P.O. Box 494
Drumright Okla. 74030
oki@gbronline.com

Robert Nichols (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2005 5:00AM GMT
Sorry to say I have nothing for you on John Dudley m. Elizabeth Bracken. If I find anything I wikk Post.

Do you have a Robert Bracken m. Patricia Jenkins, d Ohio circa 1990?

Robert Nichols
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions