Search for content in message boards

Looking for my birthmother/blood relatives of child born 7/12/1955, birth records say Madison, WI

Looking for my birthmother/blood relatives of child born 7/12/1955, birth records say Madison, WI

Posted: 7 Apr 2008 3:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for blood relation family in Rock County area. I was adopted from the hospital in July 1955, I was born July 12, 1955. My mother was 21 my father was early 30s. He left the picture after I was born, my mother went home to her father and I believe 7 siblings at home. Her mother, my blood Grandmother, passed away when my mother was still in middleschool, or about. My Grandfather was an alcoholic, and not much money to raise me, so my mother gave me up at birth and went back home to help her father raise the rest of the children. My mother was about 5'5 inches or about, and they say in the records my father was tall and darker complected. I was adopted through the State of Wisconsin, and went straight to foster homes for 9 months. If there is anyone out there, that knows this family, please contact me, I would love to know who they are, if anyone looks like me, etc. I don't want anything form this family but just the knowledge, there is someone out there that is part of me. I sometimes feel as if I am in this world all alone, although, my adopted parents were very good to me, raised me well, my life is missing an important part, my blood heritage. Thank you!

Re: Looking for my birthmother/blood relatives of child born 7/12/1955, birth records say Madison, WI

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 12:06AM GMT
Were you born in Rock Co or Dane Co and what is your first name? In Rock Co. I find 7 people born that day.

Re: Looking for my birthmother/blood relatives of child born 7/12/1955, birth records say Madison, WI

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 12:06AM GMT
Were you born in Rock Co or Dane Co and what is your first name? In Rock Co. I find 7 people born that day.

Posted: 9 Apr 2008 12:40PM GMT
My birth certificate says I was born in Madison, WI, but my birth family lived in the Janesville area, so the records say. I have not seen my impounded birth certificate, and don't know if or how I can, please advise, Thank you!

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 1:59AM GMT
I don't know, the records that was open says I was born in Madison, but says my birthmother lived in the Janesville area, so who knows what is truth and what isn't, I very well may have been born in Janesville. Here it is, haven't logged in here for 3 years, and so happy to get your reponse, hopefully you get mine sooner than I got yours. Wish I could give you a name, but I can't, records for 1955 are so wishy washy and so protected, well I say, what about the adoptee's rights and feelings, they should have the right to know who gave birth to them under right circumstances, I mean this person no harm, just want to know who she is, I really need a beginning.

Posted: 1 Dec 2011 3:20AM GMT
I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that Wisconsin statute 48.433 (Access to identifying information about parents) gives you the right to learn the identification of your birth parent unless the birth parent is alive and has explicitly requested that the information remain private.

Your apparent request to access private information of a living person who wishes to keep that information private seems inappropriate here.

You might want to contact an attorney who is experienced with Wisconsin adoption law. If the parent hasn't requested that the information remain private, it should be a fairly straightforward process.

Re: Looking for my birthmother/blood relatives of child born 1944 ,birth records may be WI

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: Flaherty, Ryan, Green
Any assistance or help would be greatly appreciated.

Unable to obtain original copy of my birth.

Re: Looking for my birthmother/blood relatives of child born 1944 ,birth records may be WI

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 6:21PM GMT
The county that you were born in will have the birth certificate with your adoptive information. The county where your adoptive parents were living at the time of your adoption will have your birth certificate with the information about your birth parents. If you know where your adoptive parents were living at the time of your adoption, you can then write a letter of petition to the court (Circuit Court for that county) to open your records. If granted, you will be able to go into that courthouse and they will show you all of your file including the original certificate of birth. There are actually several circumstances under which your petition could be granted. I have done a petition for myself and one for a brother in Rock County. Both were granted.

There is also a state run program called the Adoption Search Program. This has fees though which vary depending on your income. If you can afford it, they give you a non identifying information package and then try to locate a birth parent. I would recommend the petition letter first.

You can also write to your state representative or senator for help and a well written letter to the editor of the Wisconsin State Journal might be helpful too. Just try the letter of petition to the court first and then go from there.

Btw, adoptions only legally change parent and child relations. All others are not effected. Siblings are still your legal siblings because they did not get a choice in relinquishing the relation.

Good luck and chose the path that is best for you when you get your information. I chose contact and some was bad but others were very good. Even the things that turned out bad, I still don't regret.

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 10:22PM GMT
The county that you were born in will have the birth certificate with your adoptive information. The county where your adoptive parents were living at the time of your adoption will have your birth certificate with the information about your birth parents. If you know where your adoptive parents were living at the time of your adoption, you can then write a letter of petition to the court (Circuit Court for that county) to open your records. If granted, you will be able to go into that courthouse and they will show you all of your file including the original certificate of birth. There are actually several circumstances under which your petition could be granted. I have done a petition for myself and one for a brother in Rock County. Both were granted.

There is also a state run program called the Adoption Search Program. This has fees though which vary depending on your income. If you can afford it, they give you a non identifying information package and then try to locate a birth parent. I would recommend the petition letter first.

You can also write to your state representative or senator for help and a well written letter to the editor of the Wisconsin State Journal might be helpful too. Just try the letter of petition to the court first and then go from there.

Btw, adoptions only legally change parent and child relations. All others are not effected. Siblings are still your legal siblings because they did not get a choice in relinquishing the relation.

Good luck and chose the path that is best for you when you get your information. I chose contact and some was bad but others were very good. Even the things that turned out bad, I still don't regret.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic