Search for content in message boards

FTM 2014 UK/US Versions

FTM 2014 UK/US Versions

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 3:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have received an offer for the upgrade to FTM 2014 from ancestry.com. Is there a difference between the UK version and the US version. I live in Australia and originally bought the Australian version of FTM which I ended up giving away and buying the UK version, as Australian records are no use to me and I had to register with ancestry.com.au. Will the same apply to the US upgrade and should I just wait till the UK version comes out?
Thanks for any advice.

Re: FTM 2014 UK/US Versions

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 3:52AM GMT
Do not get confused between FTM the program (about to ship as version 2014) and Ancestry.com subscriptions. The FTM program is identical in all markets.

The download that is being offered, and the information that I have is that the download may be for USA credit card holders only, is only for the FTM 2014 program and not Ancestry.com subscriptions. So if you are planning to download, or try to download to an .au email address be careful.

In AU, FTM is sold in retail packs; Platinum giving 6 months access to Ancestry.com.au and Deluxe 3 months subscriptions to what are aclled UK Heritage Plus and UK heritage respectively. see

http://www.ancestry.com.au/14daysfree

The Au retail packs will be available in AU about 6 weeks after FTM 2014 ships in the USA, which is expected to be about mid September.

In Au, the retail packs and more importantly to Au users, full program support in Au can be had through vicGUM http://www.vicgum.asn.au/software.html.

John D

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 10:13AM GMT
When I was able to use FTM, I found that the primary difference was the doorway through which you entered Ancestry. I have used a US version which entered through .com, a UK version which entered through .co.uk. An Australian can perhaps say whether an Australian enters through .au. It is a bit like my old junior school which segregated children by sex in separate playgrounds, they then entered school through doors which either had Boys or Girls inscribed above them and a mixed sex teaching environment.
Having never carried out spell checking I don't know whether as people divided by a common language there are different dictionaries.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 10:34AM GMT
When I bought the au version of FTM I had to register it through ancestry.com.au despite the fact I have been a memeber of .co.uk since 2005. I found that, because of this, all my searches defaulted to the au site and most annoying of all, I couldn't sync FTM AU with my UK tree and had to start a new au tree, which was totally useless to me as I am English and all my ancestors are English and my tree has something like 600 family members on it. This was all very frustrating so I ended up cancelling my au membership (which fortunately was free for the first 3 months) and buying the UK FTM from the UK (can't get it here) so I could actually sync my tree.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 10:49AM GMT
I am not confusing the program/subricption and what you say maybe correct in theory, but FTM AU 2012 did not sync with my ancestry.co.uk tree when I registered my FTM AU so I could make use of the 3 months free access. Perhaps this non-syncing may only occur if you register it, but as I have been an ancestry.co.uk member since 2005, am English myself and have 600 odd family members in my UK tree, this non-syncing across different FTM programs/Ancestry subscriptions is not very helpful.

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 11:52AM GMT
When you registered the version with the free period, were you required to use a different account name? I have no experience of syncing, but as there is only a different door and not a different servers this seems a logical explanation for your experience. I remember when I have had free periods I rang up when my existing subscription was coming up for renewal and received a discount

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 1:04PM GMT
I'm pretty sure I used the same name because I was expecting it to all link up. When I bought the UK FTM I couldn't register it, so I phoned ancestry AU and found out I had to cancel my subscription with them so I could register my UK version.

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 9:06AM GMT
If you have the US version (for example, as a beta tester I got that), you can change the default search from US to UK/Australia/etc

http://help.ancestry.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1807

Hope this helps!

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 11:00PM GMT
What links FTM to a specific version of ancestry e.g. ancestry.com, or .ca, or .co.uk..........?

It doesn't appear to depend on which version is originally installed, what account the user has, or where the user resides.

I live in Canada, have an account with ancestry.co.uk and was using the US version of FTM 2014. As all my ancestors lived in the UK, I then downloaded and registered the UK version. All was fine until I installed an update and then FTM reverted to the US version. Registration now requires an account with ancestry.com and all searches are through ancestry.com.
Can anyone please explain this?
Thanks.

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 5:50AM GMT
Have you tried changing the locale as per the advice in my last post? That should work - let us know if it did - if it did not, perhaps we could give other help…
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions