Search for content in message boards

GOODIN - RHINE CONNECTION

GOODIN - RHINE CONNECTION

Peggy Karol (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: EVANS, GARDNER, GOODIN, HOUSEHOLDER, KILMAR, LANCASTER, McDORMAN, SAXON, SWANK, RHINE, TOWNSEND, WOTEN
I am looking for information for Isaac Gilruth Rhine. He was the son of James Rhine and Ellander Woten of Jay county. I believe he may have had as many as 5 wives.

One of those wives was Marilla (Rilla) Goodin. I am a direct descendan of her sister, Margaret Elizabeth Goodin who married John Wesley Townsend on Feb. 7, 1863 in Blackford County, IN. These sisters were some of the children of Isaac Goodin and Fannie Gardner. John Wesley was the son of John Townsend and Temeperance Householder, grandson of Gilbert Townsend, Sr. and Mary (Polly) Saxon, gr. grandson of John Saxon and Elizabeth Evans. Another daughter of Isaac and Fannie's, Nancy, married James Wilson Rhine, brother to Isaac Gilruth.

I take no credit for the following research as other researchers have been very generous with me in sharing their information. I do not name them as I do not have their permission to do so. However, this is my "best guess" on information for Isaac Gilruth Goodin's marriages:

- May have married Mary Miranda Lancaster, 27 May 1866, Wells County, IN. They may have had a son named Troubadour (or John) Rhine 1866 - 1872. There is a tombstone of John Rhine (1867-1872) in Woodlawn Cemetery, Montpelier, IN, which gives his father's name as Isaac and his mother's initial as "M". I have been unable to find a divorce record for Isaac and Mary, but believe Mary may have married two more times, had no more children and died in Hartford City in 1920.

- According to Isaac's obituary (see posting on the Blackford County Obit board), he married Marilla (Rilla) Goodwin (should be Goodin) in Kearney, NE on 3 March 1868. I believe they divorced. Marilla died in Curtis, Frontier, NE in February 1914.

- Isaac married Marcela Jane (Jennie) Swank in Jasper County, Iowa on March 21, 1984. Jennie may died in 1914.

- A marriage license was issued in Blackford County, IN on Oct. 24, 1914 to Isaac Rhine to marry Florence (Mote) McDorman - maybe in Blackford County, IN. Her first husband may have been James T. McDorman, whom she may have been dicorced from when she married Isaac Goodin. In 1920 however, she is listed as living with James T. McDorman in Montpelier, Indiana. So she may have divorced Isaac or perhaps a license was issued but she and Isaac never married.

- Per Isaac's obit he married Mrs. W. E. Kilmar at Kearney, NE on May 13, 1917. She survived him. However, this obit indicates that Mrs. W. E. Kilmar was the 2nd wife of Isaac.

The Rhine family was a large one as Isaac came from a family of 12 children. A couple of his siblings named sons Isaac Gilruth. So I may have mixed Uncles and nephews in the above list.

I am working on "filling in" the descendant lines for Isaac and Fannie Goodin's children. Any help with documentation and clarification of the above information would be appreciated. I have quite a bit of Goodin, Townsend and Saxon information which I would be very willing to share with anyone who has interest in these families.
Posted: 13 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 2:02AM GMT
ISAAC G. RHINE WAS IN THE 34TH IND INF, CO. I FROM BLACKFORD COUNTY. HIS RESIDENCE WAS MONTPELIER.HE WAS BORN 0N 3/24/1846. HE ENLISTED ON 10/9/1861 AND DISCHARGED 2/3/1866.HE WAS A PRIVATE. HIS FATHER WAS JAMES RHINE. HIS MOTHER WAS ELEANOR WATER. HE MARRIED 1) MAXINE SWANK 2)FLORENE DORMAN. SORRY I DONT HAVE ANY OTHER WIFE INFO.I ALSO DO NOT HAVE A BURIAL SITE FOR HIM.THERE ARE 4 OTHER RHINE'S LISTED AS SERVING IN THE WAR IF YOU WANT THAT INFO EMAIL ME.

MARK DAVIS
HARTFORD CITY, INDIANA

RHINE, ISAAC AND MARILLA (GOODIN) 1870 AND 1885 NE CENSUS

Peggy Karol (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GOODIN, HENDERSON, RHINE
- 1870 Census - Saline County, NE PO Camden; page 54
# 462, # 453 Rhine, Isaac G, 24, M, W - Farmer, 100, Ind

Marilla, 21, F, W - Keeping House, Ohio

- 1885 NE State Census - Saline County, NE, Northfork Pct.;
# 462, # 453 Rhine,Isaac G, W, M, 39, - Farmer

Marilla, 36, - W, F, wife, Keeping House

Emma W, F, 12, Daughter, at school

Letson, W, M, 11, Son, at school

Douzella (?), W, F, 9, Daughter,at school

Clara, W. F. 6, Daughter, at school

Aammie (?) W, F, 4, Daughter

Henderson, Henry, W, M, 40, Farmer

Correction to Isaac Rhine / Jennie Swank Marriage

Peggy Karol (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: RHINE, SWANK
There is an obvious typo - this marriage date should be March 21, 1894. Soory for the confusion
Peggy

Re: GOODIN - RHINE CONNECTION

Posted: 4 Jul 2001 10:15PM GMT
Surnames: Dunbar Gilruth
I am looking for relatives of Jean Dunbar born in Blairgowrie Peth Scotland. I do not know the year. What I do know is she was married to James Gilruth. (1853) They had Children James Gilruth 1854, John Dunbar Gilruth 1858, Jeanie Gilruth 1862 and my Grandfather Robert Gilruth 1864. All born in Scotland. My grandfather Robert Gilruth came to USA. Don't know the year or how he got here. I do know he married a Mary Byron from Pennsylvania, Lackawanna County. (No date) I do know they homesteaded in Missoula, Montana. I have the land patent dated 1909. My mother is there daughter Helen Gilruth Gallagher born in 1900 she had a sister Jean and a Brother Robert Dunbar Gilruth all born there. My Grandfather was killed over squatter’s rights they say in 1908 but I think that date is wrong because I have the land patent dated 1911 when my grandmother had the deed turned over to her in 1911. Plus my mom always said she was 9 or 10 when he got killed. Don't know where he is buried and have no death record.

My grandfather's brother James Gilruth homesteaded in Colorado. (1893) Don’t know if he was ever married but he died around 1935 there because he left my mom and siblings money when he died. There has never been any mention of the other siblings. I just found the birth records on LDS. All from same area in Scotland and same parents listed.

I am having the hardest time finding any info on this family. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Sharon Gallagher Shaffer sharin5@excite.com

Re: RHINE, ISAAC AND MARILLA (GOODIN) 1870 AND 1885 NE CENSUS

Posted: 11 Sep 2002 3:31AM GMT
AAmmie is Nannie

Re: GOODIN - RHINE CONNECTION

Peggy Karol (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2003 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: GOODIN, HOWE, KILMER, RHINE, SKINNER
There were at least 3 Issac Gilruth Rhines. Based on the following census data, I believe that my earlier posting regarding Isaac and his wives is in error. I now believe that the Isaac Gilruth Rhine who married Marilla Goodin had 3 wives, not 4 or 5. He was married 1st to Mary Lancaster, 2nd to Marilla Goodin and 3rd to Wealtha (SP?) Skinner Kilmer. I base this on the 1900 census which states the Isaac and Marilla have been married 30 years and the 1910 census where Isaac is listed as being married 2 times and Marilla married 1 time. Marilla died in 1914, then this Isaac married the widow Wealtha (SP?) Skinner Kilmer.

On the 1910 census Pearl R is listed as a 7 year old granddaughter living with Isaac and Marilla Rhine. Does anyone have any information regarding Pearl?

I would be very interested in exchanging data on the Rhine and Goodin families.

- 1870 Census - P.O. Camden, Saline County, NE, page 54
# 462, # 453 Rhine, Isaac G. 24, M, W - Farmer, 100, Ind
Marilla, 21, F, W - Keeping House, Ohio

- 1880 Federal Census, North Precinct, Saline Co., NE, Roll T9_0755, Image 256, Page 14B, Line 13-18, dwelling 126, visit 132
Rhine, Isaac, W, M, 34, married, Farmer, IN, OH, OH
Marilla, W, F, 31, wife, keeping house, OH, OH, OH
Emma, W, F, 7, daughter, S, NE, IN, OH
Letson, W, M, son, S, 5, NE, OH, IN, OH (PK comment - Robert L.)
Zella, W, F, 4, daughter, NE, IN, OH
Clara, W, F, 1, daughter, NE, IN, OH

- 1885 NE State Census - Saline County, NE, Northfork Pct.; provided by Lyn Harrison, Pastfinders Library at Crete, Saline County, NE; 16 Sept. 2000
# 462, # 453
Rhine, Isaac G, W, M, 39, - Farmer
Marilla, 36, - W, F, wife, Keeping House
Emma W, F, 12, Daughter, at school
Letson, W, M, 11, Son, at school
Douzella (?), W, F, 9, Daughter, at school
Clara, W. F. 6, Daughter, at school
Annie (?) W, F, 4, Daughter
Henderson, Henry, W, M, 40, Farmer

- 1900 Federal Census, Wood River Precinct, Dawson Co., NE, ED 95, Sheet 5B, page 204A, lines 67-70, enumerated 8 June 1900, 69, visit 70, - (It is listed under Deuel County, NE--District 95, image 10.)
RHINE, Isaac G., Head, W, M, Mar, 1846, 54, M, 30yrs, OH, PA, OH, Farmer, Y, Y, Y, O, M, F,
Marilla Wife, W, M, May, 1848, 51, M, 30yrs, 9 children born, 7 living, OH, OH, OH, Y, Y, Y,
Lola A. Dau., W, F, Aug, 1885, 14, S, NE, OH, OH, At School, Y, Y, Y
Grace Dau, W, F, Oct, 1888, 11, S, NE, OH, OH, At School, Y, Y, Y

- 1910 Federal Census, Curtis Twp., Curtis Village, Frontier Co., NE, April 18, 1910—ED 66, sheet 3A, pg 190, dwelling 72, family 75, lines 49 & 50, con’t. on sheet 3B, dwelling 72, family 74, line 51
RHINE, Isaac G. Head , M, W, 64, M2, IN, Ger. German, PA, Own Income, Y, Y, O, F, H
Marilla G. Wife, F, W, 60, M1, 9 children born, 7 children living, OH, OH, OH,, None, Y, Y,
Sheet 3B, line 51
Pearl R. granddaughter, F, W, 7, S, NE, NE, IA, None attended school within the year.

- 1920 Federal Census, Curtis Village, Curtis Precinct, Frontier CO., Nebraska, Roll T625_983, ED #69, Page 10A, lines 35-37, enumerated on 16 & 17 January 1920
___ Howard, dwelling 230, visit 237
Rhine, Isaac G., head, O, F, M, W, 73, M, Y, Y, IN, OH, OH, Speaks English, None
Wealtha E., Wife, F, W, 64, M, Y, Y, OH, OH, IN, Speaks English, None
Howe, Jane, step daug, F, W, 46, Wd, Y, Y, KS, NE, OH, Speaks English, None
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions