Search for content in message boards

Problems with Date of Death in Reports

Problems with Date of Death in Reports

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
I purchased FTM 2012 more than a year ago but only installed it a couple of months ago on my laptop. My problemm is that everywhere there is a date of death in a report, the same person's data appears overriding the indivual being listed.

As background, a long story which I won't include here but my old desktop computer had died some time ago and I had been unable to use the USB ports to backup files for more than a year before that. I eventually gave up just used an old FTM backup as the starting point for FTM 2012.

One of the first people I added while I was still trying learn how to use to FTM 2012 was my paternal grandmother's sister who I had just learned as born and died in 1897. I believe I was on the "individual" page when I was trying to her date of death as a fact. Since then I have added a lot of other individuals and their dates of death but usually do it from the "family" page.

I recently tried to generate a couple of reports for the first time and noted that whenever a date of death was included for any individual, the report listed my great aunts name and date of death.

I tried deleting my great aunt and this still occurs. It is as if her death fact overides any other date of death fact. I am running FTM 2012 on Windows 7. Any suggestions?

Mike in Texas

Re: Problems with Date of Death in Reports

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 8:25PM GMT
It might help if you were to post the steps that you were to do "trying to her date of death as a fact"?

Posted: 7 Sep 2013 10:12PM GMT
Make sure you are entering a new Death Fact and not a note in the notes section. You will have to delete additional death facts in the upper panel of the program. Post a screen shot if you can of the person in question.

Regards,
Attachments:

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 2:41PM GMT
I am not sure exactly what I did wrong and only discovered the problem that I described a couple of months after I entered the person, when I tried to produce a descendants report, so I do not remember exactly what I may have done wrong.

I have attached some screen shots of the individual, The person screen, a family view report screen, an ancestors report, and a descendants report. As you can see the family view report is OK, but the ancestors and descendants reports get corrupted. I turned off all the notes etc and only kept preferred facts of birth, death, and marriage. The descendants report is of my wife's family so you can see this occurs throughout the file.

I produced a GEDCOM and it does not appear to be a problem in that file.

Well I just tried to attach the file as a pdf and now it says I can only attach certain file formats which do not include pdfs. I'll see if I can convert it to one of these other formats or post it somewhere else.

Mike in TX

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 3:09PM GMT
Further to my emails above, here are a couple of screen shots. The family sheet reports and Family Group Sheet are OK, but the Ancestors and Decendants reports have the wrong death info.

Mike in TX
Attachments:

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 4:37PM GMT
From the screenshot it seems that whenever any body dies you get the sentence about Briget... Perhaps the Death Fact sentence has been altered. Try Edit>Manage Facts, select the Death fact and look at the Properties sheet. I think the standard sentence is

{person} died {onDate} {inPlace} {(description)}.

If your sentence mentions Bridget then that may be the source of the problem.

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 7:01PM GMT
Thanks David and everyone who responded, resetting the death fact worked.

When I was first trying to use FTM 2012 and didn't know what I was doing I must have inserted Bridget's death fact through edit fact and made it a universal overide in certain reports.

Thanks again
Mike in TX

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 9:39PM GMT
Good to see that your issue is solved. Makes sense what David posted regarding the death fact verbage.

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions