Search for content in message boards

Lost Media in FTM 2012

Lost Media in FTM 2012

Posted: 8 Sep 2013 9:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Running FTM 2012 on Windows 7 64 bit 16gb memory and anxiously awaiting the release of my pre-ordered FTM 2014. Lots of compacting but still failed syncs, exports, reports and crashed application with references to memory problems.

In the interim I merged two trees, let's call them A1 and B1 and after the merge I renamed the resulting 20,000 person tree A1B1. All the expected 16,000 media showed in the statistical box, and appeared in the new A1B1 folder so, my bad, I deleted the old media folders but failed to check for missing media in A1B1 (as I have copies of all data and media saved elsevhere). When I did check it showed all 16,000 as missing, although the statistical count remains and the thumbnails are still there.

Ultimately realized that checking missing media creates an empty A1 media folder (tried it a couple of times to double check my senility). Then noted all the media thumbnails show the media location as the A1 folder. When I copied all the media from A1B1 to A1 I no longer had missing media as far as FTM was concerned. However I don't want a name disconnect between the tree data and the tree media.

Using Find Missing Media crashes FTM unless I do it in very small increments which will take forever. Does anyone have any other suggestions how I can get FTM to look in the correct media folder? Thank you.

Re: Lost Media in FTM 2012

Posted: 8 Sep 2013 11:49AM GMT
I shouldn't complain as my missing FTM 2012 media is miniscule compared to yours although I have not tried a large merge such as you describe.

I'm was also using Windows 7 (although I have now chg'd to W8) and have abt 1700 media items located within FTM's Media folder. I noticed several weeks ago that many of those files were no longer there. I spent some time re-inserting those files from primary pdf/jpg locations elsewhere on the pc and now recently noticed 2 were again not linked (there may be more as I have yet to check them all).

I don't know that the 2 newly-found missing links are repeats or not but it's a little frustrating that FTM can't seem to maintain those files in the FTM Media folder.

While my 'problem' seems minor (in count) to yours and has other differences, I had to go item by item in the Media section of FTM to manually re-insert those 'lost' media files. Hopefully someone else will reply with a more timely fix for your problem.

Posted: 8 Sep 2013 12:38PM GMT
If I understand correctly you now have your media in a folder A1 which is not the media folder for your tree A1B1 and FTM knows where all this media is located.

Can I suggest you try the following (make sure you have full backups first). Go to the media manager n A1B1 select all the media, (which is linked to A1), and then in the media menu select copy media. FTM will ask you if you want to copy the media into the media folder, to which the answer is yes. I have done this with a small number of files (108) and it works and is quick. You may have to split your 16,000 into more manageable blocks but this is way quicker than allowing FTM to search for missing media.

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 9:31PM GMT
Thanks for your suggestion David. The Select all in the menu was also greyed out but I could still do it using Ctrl A. But regrettably whether I selected one item, 5 items or Ctrl A while my FTM media menu allowed me to select Copy but then nothing. No asking where I wanted to copy it to. At this point I considered a clean reinstall of FTM but decided I will just wait for my FTM 2014.

Later I had a thought. I changed the name of the data tree from A1B1 to A1 which matched the existing A1 media folder where FTM finds the media. Not an elegant solution as I had to give up the name I wanted. But at least the data tree and the media folder have the same name and appear to recognize each other.

Thanks again for your input, it was well worth a try. Have a good one.

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 9:48PM GMT
Ralph, re the large merge you mentioned. You are right in that normally I would never expect it to turn out well. In this case I had a 17000 person tree into which I merged a 3500 person tree, however only 500 persons or less were one and the same. And even those 500 were identical in data, media and records in both trees. So FTM had no apparent challenge as there weren't even data alternatives to be considered.

To make a long story, the two trees were subsets of a 40,000 person tree I have that won't sync anymore with its Ancestry.com counterpart. Nor will it even upload/sync as a new Ancestry tree without FTM crashing. Support has not been able to identify the problem. The backup I had has the same problem and the few database correction suggestions e.g compacting to 0 after closing the tree does nothing, and I can't use Publish without crashing the tree. I can't even export large branches without FTM crashing. What I have to do is create a new tree with one person, then merge into it the individuals selected from the 40,000 person FTM tree. That's what I did and since both of the resulting trees came from the same data source, they were not a real challenge to merge into each other.

Enough rambling, Hope you have success with your problem.

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 10:32AM GMT
Sorry I missed out a step - after the copy you then need to paste the media at which point you get the choices. However, I don't think it helps. It copies the files into the media folder but retains the links to the original location :(

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 8:28AM GMT
David, no worries about missing a step. I had tried hitting the Paste after getting nothing from hitting the Cut and still nothing popped up. Likely an additional problem with my FTM 2012, and hopefully I will have no reason to try it again before my FTM 2014 arrives in the mail and all problems will be instantly solved :o)

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 2:15PM GMT
Curious to know why you wanted to merge two trees. FTM is notorious for not handling large trees well. You might have been better leaving them separate.

I have had problems when asking FTM to make a copy of a tree - it copies the media folder, but doesn't copy any sub-folders. The links to the media remain, but they show as missing. I cured this by manually copying all the subfolders.

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 8:58PM GMT
Hi Chris. Yes, I knew the issues and risks with FTM. But I had my one 40,000 person tree which I could not sync, or even upload without syncing to Ancestry. Rather than continue to feed the "unsyncable" tree with new data/media, or do nothing until FTM 2014 arrives I decided to carve off branches, work on them and then assemble them again into one tree in the near future. (My original 40,000 tree may yet turn out to be unfixable even if a 64 bit FTM 2014 solves all the memory error messages/crashes that I am experiencing.)

I thought about leaving them separate, but not only would that mean replicating research/updating on duplicate individuals, it also means I would miss out on one of my biggest thrills: discovering where one of my branches have multiple connections/intermarriages with each. I know it is a topic of some debate, and of personal preference, but personally I think one big fully integrated tree is the ideal. Just need the software to support the ideal :o)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic